No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO  (Read 6523 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:36:08 AM »
Ok my last (what is it) item post tonight....

I suppose this is New with the label on it -- and looks pretty simple, if it is the right label attached to the right item (??).  It is about 2.75 inches high and is like only 3 bubbles in it.  I could not find much about this, and also not sure IF you have this label or not in the Glass Gallery.  Let me know if you want there.  Part of the reason I bought it was for its label, and here.  What does the words mean on there?

Thanks any info on this is greatly appreciated...  :)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
antiquerose, I recently was told about ca' d oro. It means house of gold. I googled it a while back and found a hotel and other things about a district in Venice -- great help, I know. Charlie of Fossilfly told me that the ca' d oro technique was simply glass that was made with gold -- the glass we see so often from Murano. The technique of the pw doesn't appear ca' d oro, so I wonder if it refers to a place... or if the label was transplanted. Hope someone else can be more helpful. This is the first time I've seen the label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:24:47 AM »
Thxs TxSilver.  I couldn't find much either.  Not knowing much about PW, I thought it looked rather simple with just 3 bubbles and to have a label with the name Seguso on it.  I bought it from the lady that gave me that Free bowl -- and for this PW I only paid $10.  So it is not not like a paid a great amount for this PW anyways.  But I did ask her about it and she said she had had for a few years.  Her son gave it to her.  She told me that he works for Bill Gates (@ Microsoft) and travels all over, so I assume he would have gotten this on his travels somewhere.  So this is the story I got with this PW since she liked PW.

Possibly then could be something made for a Hotel?  or A jewelry store (or goldsmith) that makes rings and things and usually have some other trinkets to sell there.

I understand it is possible it could have been *transplanted* on the PW - BUT the lady showed me a picture of her son's Wedding with Bill Gates, so I believe her.  Secondly, this label looks firmly planted on there.....like it has been there all along.  This is just my opinion. 

One thing for sure is I am glad that I bought this PW with the label -- as now we will have a label to educate ourselves with, and for the label section.....and for others to see it.

Will add to the Glass Gallery in the label section.  if you have not seen this label TxSilver, then this is an important label to go into the label section as we try to figure out the story behind it.

(Will post @ FF too) 

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »
antiquerose, I recently was told about ca' d oro. It means house of gold. I googled it a while back and found a hotel and other things about a district in Venice -- great help, I know. Charlie of Fossilfly told me that the ca' d oro technique was simply glass that was made with gold -- the glass we see so often from Murano. The technique of the pw doesn't appear ca' d oro, so I wonder if it refers to a place... or if the label was transplanted. Hope someone else can be more helpful. This is the first time I've seen the label.

Here is the link about the Hotel (??) you had mentioned:  http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/cadoro/cadoro.htm  It says here about the Hotel, quote:

"Each room has antique furniture, elegant Venetian upholsteries and draperies, Murano chandeliers, parquet or wall-to-wall carpet, good reading lights, desk and chair, as well as satellite TV, direct-dial telephone, wall safe and air conditioning. The bathrooms are lined with marble and feature a bathtub or glass stall shower, hair dryer, towel warmer, and toiletry set. There is no smoking allowed in the hotel."

:o

Could these paperweight been made for this Hotel....as it sounds like it is some CLASSY Hotel with elegant Venetian furniture, Murano Chandeliers, wall safe, and bathrooms lined with marble....or as a souvenir item from the Hotel Gift Store made especially for the Hotel.

I guess that is possible.....and several different PW could be made with varying prices to sell to customers.....just a thought....but Possible.

~ ~ MAYBE these PW are an ADVERTISING PREMIUM for the Hotel/Italy/Glass making/GLASS name SEGUSO

Pics of hotel: 
http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/cadoro/pictshow.htm?0
http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/cadoro/pictshow.htm?4
http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/cadoro/pictshow.htm?5
http://www.initaly.com/agri/hotels/cadoro/pictshow.htm?9

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
We're discussing the pw in another group at http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=9181#post9181. Chances are good that the pw is made by Mario Seguso in their Ca' d'oro shop in Brazil.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »
**** An UP-DATE ****

Hi - I have received an email about this item, and was directed to this link here:

http://www.novica.com/search/searchresults.cfm
http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/index.cfm?pid=126466

So I just thought that I would add this here to this Post.

Quoted from that Link above:

Seguso Family
"The artistry of the Seguso Family has been featured in Depth magazine.

Present since 1300 in the census books of Murano, Italy, today the prestigious Seguso glass-crafting family has a Brazilian branch. In 1954, Mario Seguso was invited to execute special commemorative pieces for the 400th anniversary of the city of São Paulo. Enchanted by Brazil, he decided to settle there and, in this way, to continue the family line in this country.

His intention was to produce serious, artistic work of the highest level, and become known throughout Brazil and in other countries. After years of supervising the production of artisan crystal, he assured its continuity through his sons Michel and Adriano, who carry on the Seguso Family tradition.

Since then, the Seguso Family has been recognized for the creativity and originality of their work and always are cited in news articles, award ceremonies and retrospective exhibits, with an increasing number of admirers and collectors interested in the passionate art of glass."

So I guess the mystery on this item is solved -- and a Good reference for any others that may come across this label, or wish to purchase items from that company -- or some may be sold on Ebay also. 

I will try to get that label in the gallery -- and If I forget -- Give me a nudge  ;D

:thup: :thup:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 03:35:15 AM »
Since it is from Brazil, should it go with the Murano labels? I'm not sure which label library is best for this one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Since it is from Brazil, should it go with the Murano labels? I'm not sure which label library is best for this one.

Gee - not sure...

I just thought that by the quote from that link......"Present since 1300 in the census books of Murano, Italy, today the prestigious Seguso glass-crafting family has a Brazilian branch. In 1954, Mario Seguso was invited to execute special commemorative pieces for the 400th anniversary of the city of São Paulo. Enchanted by Brazil, he decided to settle there and, in this way, to continue the family line in this country."

?? The Seguso family line (from Murano)....in another country, has another Branch on the tree  --  so, I dunno. 

You guys can decide how/where it should go...  :huh:  I leave that to the Mods to decide...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »
Not sure it's a matter for the Mods to decide ;D

But it's an interesting, open question that could could make a good discussion in the Cafe forum. Perhaps, if we refer "studio items" by the maker's personal name, then the place of manufacture becomes secondary. But if an item is from a given company (or "factory"), then the place may well be the important issue. But even a single company could have branches in different countries, making the "categorization" quite muddled again (not that I can think of many such a cases right now - although Caithness Glass used to have "outlets" in both Scotland and England, so could have been an example!)
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
Mod: Summary section.

This section of the thread has been created as a summary of many comments and queries by several Board members. This was done after a contributor to the discussion later requested, for personal reasons, that their comments be removed. That action required a full review and revision of comments that were directly or indirectly related to the deleted text. Hopefully, the summary below covers all relevant main points.

The information from the Novica website, referenced earlier by “antiquerose123”, clearly showed that Mario Seguso (and sons) was of the well known Seguso family of Murano but was working in Brazil. It had also been noted, by “TxSilver” and others, that some eBay sellers have been referring to such work as “Seguso Murano” rather than “Seguso Brazil”, but that detailed listing information does usually contain some reference to the actual place of manufacture.

Several contributors to this message had lengthy discussions on whether it was reasonable or accurate to call such work “Seguso Murano”. It was stated that because Mario Seguso was part of the Seguso family of Murano he had the right, through a “Golden Book” of Murano, to call his work “Murano” even though he took up residence in Brazil from 1954. Others commented that even if a person has a proven tie to a family in a particular country, if that person works in another country, then it is misleading for their products to be sold as apparently being from the “family country”. Several Board members made the point that it would be perfectly acceptable to advertise such wares as “made in the continued tradition of Murano” (or similar wording) but it was confusing for products made in Brazil to have no main heading reference to Brazil.

Some people felt that collectors who focus on “Murano” buy items with the belief that those items have actually been made in Murano and, again, sales listings headed simply as “Seguso Murano” were, at best, misleading if the true country of origin is Brazil. Other contributors made stronger points about possible legal issues!

In a more detailed discussion, it was said that the products made by Mario Seguso had been influenced by Brazilian culture and colours. It was therefore questioned why there seemed to be little, or no, reference to this point in some of the sales listings. Other comments covered the fact that there are many glass workers around the world who have a tie to Murano, through either family lines or training etc. but they do not call their work “Murano”.

It was also confirmed that items made by Mario Seguso in Brazil are signed “Seguso Brazil”. Again, this raised further comment and question about why some sales listings did not make this clear in the main headings.

The general opinion of most Board members was that the work of Mario Seguso (and his sons) ought to be sold as “Brazilian” but with reference to “Murano working traditions”. That way, the artist’s work would clearly stand on its own merit and collectors would not be confused about where the products were made.

The final (?) words are left to “Anne” and “Antiquerose” whose original comments seem to sum things up satisfactorily.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand