No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO  (Read 6507 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
Rose's label belongs in the Brazil album not the Murano one. The albums relate to the physical location of manufacture not to any artistic influence, past connection or family affiliation.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Simple PW - Label - SEGUSO CA D'ORO
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »
 :ooh: See what happens when the other side of the World is :sleep:

Me, I started this whole thing with the post of this item to identify it.  Now going through and reading the post, I too would have to agree that the name Seguso should be able to stand on its own.  Whether he lives in Brazil, USA, or Canada....it is the name, and the family ties that connect.

From the little I know about glass -- Murano is a Place, and a place where glass was made....hence its name.

Seguso is a name that *comes* from the murano glass family.  I would think no matter where one takes up business (be the cost of doing business there) that is the origin of the glass.

Chalet glass was made in Canada.....and is just that.   I would not be happy to have Chalet Glass (Canadian glass) made in Brazil either, and be referred to a Chalet.  Makes Sense for any Company....

So since I started this whole thing with the Identify of this item -- I myself WILL call it *Seguso Brazil* glass, and Yes it is made with the Murano family influence behind it -- but fact is -- it is made in Brazil

I own the piece - It is here in my home. 

I am still *honored* to have an item that is part of the Seguso Family name, even if made in Brazil.  It should be the Seguso family name -- no matter where they are -- that *should* still mean something....and they should be proud of the name wherever they are located, but call it as it is...

I would (therefore) agree that it is NOT actual Murano glass which to me means where it was made -- Murano.  Clearly it is made in the Style of, and within the branches of the Seguso Family Tree.  But I agree, it is not true Murano (from Italy) glass.

If I was an artist (which I am not  :24: :24: ) and was from that same family -- I would be Proud to be able to branch out on my own (where ever in the World) as I would already have the name to stand-behind, but I would want to be credited for MY own actual work, and My actual company -- even in Brazil.

Seguso family can be still proud that a member has branched out to a different area, and therefore should be proud to stand behind his name, and the country where he lives.  It gives credit to the country of Brazil too.

I just I am just saying - he choose to move to Brazil.  With the name Seguso, that already allows them to *ride* the coat-tails of the whole family name, and history.   BUT IF branching out away from the area of origin, one should be able to stand-up for themselves (with the name) no matter where they choose to set up company, or what country.

If Seguso moved to Canada -- I would not expect it to be called Murano glass still.  Just as many Chalet glass makers CAME from Italy, they called their Glass Chalet -- but was *designed* in the "Murano style and Influence with a known Italian family ties" but was Canadian Glass (Chalet) not Murano glass....period.  It is still only Canadian Glass -- thus the name Chalet.

So I guess what I am getting at is.......any Seguso should be Proud of their name, their history, their family history -- but should also therefore, stand-up to their location of where they are making glass.

I did not mean to start any wars -- but seems like a lively debate.

I -- the owner of this item -- can feel comfortable in saying "It is a Seguso piece, make by a newer member of the Seguso family, but made in *Brazil* -- with a style, and influence of Murano glass -- but not true Murano (Italy) glass as I have come to understand."

IMHO of what I understand, and my own opinion -- and since it is sitting in my home here, I will call it Seguso Glass made in Brazil, as to me -- that is what it is.

No hard feeling to anyone -- In fact, a very good discussion.  I think all the points were well aired, and it is what it is -- Seguso Glass made in Brazil.

I can live with that  ;) ;D :kissy:

"An Ace, is an Ace -- is an Ace................It is what it is......Seguso Glass made in Brazil."

:hug:   I still like it !!

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand