No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimäen? Cased and bubbled vase with a narrowed neck, orange ?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline px

• Members
I saw this vase on a table flea market and held it in my hands many times.
Was wondering is it really Riihimäen as stated on the price tag. The colour was very striking orange.

Now the next time I ever see the same vase is on this site: http://www.glaskilian.de/Finnland.89.0.html
5th row from the top and last, dark purple, one, "Vase FINNCRISTALL 8158" 
The other of the olive coloured larger ones next to this seems to have an export sticker too.
Do you know more about this vase? Should I have bought it after all.  :huh:

Have to say looking at the other vases on the same site doesn't much add confidence to a newbie like me. Just as I thought I'd learned something.  :spls:

Offline px

• Members
Re: Riihimäen? Cased and bubbled vase with a narrowed neck, orange ?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Thanks Chris !!! How I feel stupid - like I haven't browsed designlasi.com I can't see how I missed that !!   :-[

Edit/addition: Learning - I should have bought it! :)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
I am the opposite, normally get home and wish I hadn't bought it  :-[
I too am learning having concentrated  too much on one thing over the years (Whitefriars)  :rn:
Chris

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
Not to mention that the one in the top left corner we've come to know is Oberglas. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1598.0.html

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
Thanks Emmi and Cathy. I wasn't that wrong about all then... ( I still think there might be even more)
Funny the one I had really seen and wondered about was really Riihimäen. I still think how seldom that bright orange colour is around. At least here, it must be an export model of course.

Chris, I suppose it's so very human; it's always either never enough or too much!  ;D

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »
Ha! As it happened this vase was still available I bought it after all! :)
I suppose it being an export model there aren't many aware of it being a Tamara Aladin vase and thus no interest despite the lowish price...?
Also the colour really isn't very typical I think.

This is all presumably and supposedly (Aladin design 1434) in my mind. I still would like to get confirmed as the only pics I find of a similar looking model are from the same source.  It says beneath the designlasi pic that someone has one in 20cm high and clear. Same size this mine.
The other size mentioned is 30cm with a longer neck as shown in glaskilian pics.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
hmmmm- i was under the impression these orange vases were Bohemia?

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
Wow, Ivo, your addition made this topic even more confusing and interesting to me !
Then "of course" it happened I saw a similar vase like yours today on a fleamarket! :o
It was clear glass, dirty, in bad condition and also: very LIGHT. The feel was different from mine, as you can even see from the picture the glass on the mouth is quite thick.

However, as this was so very interesting I checked.
A very helpful person confirmed me the vase of this topic really is in Riihimäen lasi's 1967 product list and I have seen a copy of the sheet where there's a picture of a similar vase that is found on glaskilian.de site.  "Prod. number 1434 - vase col. and clear - Sizes 300mm, 250mm, 200mm"

But: my vase does not have a neck as long as they do!  :-\ There's a pic on glaskilian site of two large, 30cm vases and then a 20cm = as high as mine, but it still has a longer neck.

I thought about the orange colour: By the time - 1967-1969 there were other models that were produced in clear, green and orange (strong and darkish like mine) eg. Nanny Stills Nebulosa, Fantasma, Stellaria etc. So in that way it would match. Now I am wondering, if this funny prunty/bubbly texture was produced in many models quite but not exactly the same?  Now this would make three models: the one confirmed 1434, Ivo's and mine ? What do you think?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand