No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars soda vase question for Emmi...  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Whitefriars soda vase question for Emmi...
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »
Emmi, I was browsing your blog and found this image of 3 soda vases: LINK - the text says the smallest one is 4.75" tall - pattern 9553. What I was wondering is, was this pattern / shape ever made in larger sizes as well? I can't find larger version in the cats on Whitefriars.com but I thought it's worth asking seeing as new info keeps being located.

I have a vase the same shape and which feels like it could be a W/f soda vase, but it's taller than yours: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-752 at about 8" high and I have a second one the same size and shape which has a less-dense colour as well... http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-753 and a side by side comparison: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-757
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Whitefriars soda vase question for Emmi...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
As far as I know, the 9553 shape was only made in this small size.  I also have seen others similar to yours and there always seems to be "something" about them which does not say Whitefriars to me. I suspect they are likely to be Scandi? But have nothing really to back up that theory.

If you had them side by side, I think you would also see a difference in the Amethyst colour  in addition to an almost indiscernible difference in shape.

I always find it more difficult to say why something is NOT Whitefriars rather than it is.................had a similar problem this week with someone asking about a knobbly vase which was most definitely not Whitefriars  but which was probably Czech...........still hoping the photos will appear on here as I recommended they ask here.  Seemed the person was somewhat sceptical of
my reply. LOL!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Whitefriars soda vase question for Emmi...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »
Thanks Emmi, that's very helpful to know. :)  The amethyst of these isn't the same as my 9602 vase (which in itself was an oddity as it wasn't a soda vase but one of the earlier ones with a polished pontil in the same shape!) It was that colour difference which had made me suspicious as well, but the shapes are just like a larger version of the 9553.   It is, as you say, sometimes hard to explain why something's wrong, you just know it is! I appreciate your help though, thanks again. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand