No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carved? blue fish  (Read 4139 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carved? blue fish
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:53:56 AM »
Hi everyone, I bought this small (5 inches long) light blue fish on one of my forays. It certainly is a puzzle to me. The best way to describe it is it appears to be carved, almost like a stone carving.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y283/Muscadale/?action=view&current=Tbluefish.jpg

With a loop I can detect how the eyes were carved and the beak. The tail fin has cut lines. Any info on who, what, when would be greatly appreciated. TIA Terry

PS; I am not a fisherman so don't even know what kind of fish it is.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:04:47 AM »
It's a Dolphin, and yes it was carved from a high quality crystal the Mexicans call "Quartz". See the following Mexican pelican I bought there in 1995.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 10:56:35 AM »
Thanks Ivo, I am amazed and delighted. I hadn't realized that quartz came in such a lovely shade of blue and to tell the truth I really felt this was glass. Now I know what a dolphin looks like. Doubt if I went fishing in the Mississippi River which is very close to my home I would catch any.
At least this one didn't get away. Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 12:12:58 PM »
It's a lovely item Terry and looks great quality to me. No wonder I was stumped when you first showed it to me ! I would never in a zillion years have guessed Mexican !!!
When faced with such a piece, many collectors wil have to revise their ideas about Mexcian glass, me included.
I don't think Ivo was suggesting that it's actually quartz but just that the Mexicans use that word to denote high quality crystal.
I have learned to read Ivo's words carefully and when he says "high quality crystal" he means HIGH QUALITY crystal.
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »
I once dropped the pelican rather dramatically (bouncy, bouncy, sail away) and it survived without a scratch, dent or chip.
 8)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:50:09 AM »
Thanks Ivo and Peter, now its clear in my mind what this is. Its a beautiful piece thats for sure. Ivo, I would have no such luck. If I dropped it I can just see a million pieces so I don't think I will try that as an experiment. Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:52:24 PM »
survived without a scratch, dent or chip

Isn't that strange Ivo ?
Wouldn't high quality crystal have a high lead content ?
Isn't lead crystal particularly prone to chipping ?
(I am thinking of cut lead crystal here)
Or has glass technology advanced so much in recent years that this is no longer the case ?
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carved? blue fish
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:12:36 PM »
I haven't got a clue what formula the Mexicans use for their souvenir ware but there might be some Silica involved
Silica is used as a raw material feedstock for the production of glass where it is mixed with lime and soda to produce domestic glass for windows, bottles, jars, light bulbs and plate glass. Alternatively it may be mixed with boron oxide and soda to produce thermal shock resistant glass for cooking such as Pyrex. High-grade fused silica may be used on its own for the production of glass where a high thermal stability and shock resistance is required.
[/color][/i]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand