No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mark Taylor repro. Roman style glass.  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Mark Taylor repro. Roman style glass.
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
acquired this smallish free blown carafe this morning and bought it as I was intrigued to know why someone called Mark Taylor should leave his name on the bottom.     Unable to see anything on the GMB search, so googled and came up with a lot of interest - showing that together with artist David Hill they have been recreating authentice Soda-Lime material (in the Roman style) since about 1990 ish.  Very authentic/original approach to manufacture, apparently, including the iron oxide impurities in the mix to reproduce the similar blue-green colour seen in the known examples from the Roman period.  The 'trailing/threading' has a look of quality.   Based in Hampshire (U.K.) - although don't see anything on their calender site to indicate current activities, and don't know if all pieces are marked with Mark Taylor's name.    Anyway, just for interest, in case anyone else sees the name and wonders 'wots it all about Alfie'.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Mark Taylor repro. Roman style glass.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
lampworked?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »
sorry Ivo  -  you've lost me.   If you are hinting at my absence of stating the size - then it's about 115mm tall, and I should have included this information :-[  -  but if not .........

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
is it very light? was it made from preformed glass tubes?

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:29:16 AM »
I have a small item- sig and date and the base the same but was sold to me as NZ glass 6cm H 9.5cmW-pale yellow coloured glass vase or pot with bulbous body applied lip and 2 small open swirls for ornamental handles. Does this muddy the waters?? regards from a picture perfect New Zealand-Carol
Carolglass

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
Ivo - the short answer is that I don't really know.     However, I would have thought not  -  if the object of the business was to create 'Roman looking' glass using original methods - and materials, then making objects from pre-formed tubes would rather defeat the ethos of their enterprise.     Maybe someone else on the board has actually visited the site, and has perhaps more information.    Of course we could try reading the entire web site to see if this particular aspect is mentioned (I doubt that it would be)  -  when I looked briefly yesterday at the web site, it seemed truly astrounding the lengths to which they had gone to recreate genuine 2000 year old methods to make glass.        By the way, might it be correct to say  'a la facon de Rome'  - although of course it might have been Chichester - Colchester or London, maybe - but facon de Croydon doesn't have quite the same ring ;D
Carol - I would have thought not  -  just means that you appear to have been mis-sold something.     Did you try looking on the internet and googling re the name, and if so did you find anything?            Not very picture perfect in northern Europe  -  unsually cold, damp, wet and mostly grey :'(

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Here is their Roman Glassmakers web page:

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
Paul S- just one of those moments when you click your fingers and point at the computer screen-"I've got something like that somewhere!"-Did not google at the time as too much to do and at the mo just refurbishing my catalogue,  can add nothing fresh to the subject in question-sorry. Sid- pity the gallery on the website is closed, that might have been interesting. Promising to be another picture perfect day-yes I feel that winter is on it's way though. regards Carol :pb:
Carolglass

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/furnace14.htm

Ivo, looks like it starts with a gather.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand