No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Kluck Kluck for Esso  (Read 1736 times)

Offline chrisffc

• Members
Holmegaard Kluck Kluck for Esso
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
Hi all and hope you are well. Hope anyone who went to the glass fair today at the motorcycle centre had a great time!
Just wondered if anyone had any info on this little one. Its a Holmegaard Kluck Kluck as you can see which has some red painted words on it. Esso and Copenhagen 1974. Anyone have any idea as to what these were bought out for etc. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks Chris :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Kluck Kluck for Esso
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
Holmegaard shipped out a lot of klukflasker to companies to customise for their own needs (or sometimes they did it in-house, especially before 1957 when it seems the factory's painting workshop closed) and so it could be commemorating pretty much anything within the Esso company.

Chances are, though, it will be related to shipping.

There looks to be other writing on the decanter on the other sides, or is it just a trick of refraction?

Offline chrisffc

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
Hi thanks for the help. It does indeed have more letters on the other side, it says D.D.P.A. Whatever that may mean! The kluk kluk itself is very small, only 15cm tall. Have you seen many of these around? or ones like it? I can't seem to find any online, was beginning to think maybe they were a bit of a throw away item. Cheers, Chris :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
D.D.P.A is an acronym for Det Danske Petroleums A/S (The Danish Petrol Company). They owned a few of the shipping tankers that Esso used - so my guess at shipping-related wasn't wrong, it seems.

I've not seen an Esso klukflasker before - they were possibly only customised to the sum of a few hundred for a special occasion and given to clients / employees. Holmegaard (and Kastrup) often provided blanks for drinks companies to bottle their booze in for special collectors editions, and I've seen one or two from unrelated industries - I once had a Kastrup klukflask customised for Plumrose (of tinned meat fame) of all things.

Offline chrisffc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
Wow, that's really interesting, thank you so much. It's nicely nestled in with its larger cousins in my display cabinet! It's great to know its background and I will keep my eye out for them in the future. Thanks again, Chris :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand