No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsigned Millefiori help please ?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline sin

• Members
Unsigned Millefiori help please ?
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
Hello. I have been searching for 200 years for any reference to a small dome millefiori paperweight that fits the description of this one, and come up zero. At just under 2 inches diameter, I am tempted to call it's origin China. The base is clear and the 1 row concentric flowers are green "star" shaped canes with orange, red, and green canes inside each. The bottom half of this thing is ugly (just sayin' ...) Did the maker try to create white roots ? Is this look a certain style of any known maker ? i've never seen another do that, but do hope that somebody else has. The dome has a high profile and the glass is very clear ( a poor choice of background on my part makes the glass seem murky, it isn't) If you think this one is a brain teaser, wait until I ask about the red weight with the trees in it...that'll stump all ! LOL

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Unsigned Millefiori help please ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »
Hi, welcome to the Board.

Your paperweight is most likely Murano but identifying a particular maker may not be so easy - but it might be Fratelli Toso.

However, could you please provide a new photo of the side view (full on - not at an angle) and make the photo size between 500 & 700 pixels width. That way, we should get a better idea of how the "ground" (bottom half) is formed and the type of canes it has.

If you think this one is a brain teaser, wait until I ask about the red weight with the trees in it...that'll stump all ! LOL
Well, we'll see about that. ;D For now, if the trees are formed with millefiori canes, I can think of two possibilities - Murano or Chinese. But let's see what it actually looks like. Please post the "tree weight" in a new topic.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
Hello KevH

And thank you for the quick response. =)  I will owe the Weight Gods an apology if this turns out to be a Murano,LOL. Here is the requested pic 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
Thanks for the extra photo. Now I will await further comments from those who know more than I do. :)
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure it is Murano. (Sort of 100% sure). And I agree with Kev on the FT attribution.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline sin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
Well thank you all...Interesting. I wonder if you would tell me what factors of this weight draw that conclusion ? I like to know why a clock ticks. lol...Is it the cane structure ? design style ? Learn me !!   ;D

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »

Hi.  Certainly cane design is important - check out the Murano Project on my website for similar examples.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline sin

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:15 AM »
I recognized the Toso canes style similarity, and the "ground" thing that I called roots. So, judging from your site identification - I would say this other weight I have is older Chinese ? It has the low dome profile and the style of a pre 1940's flower design. A very useful site, thanx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand