No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson 'Ripple' vase - did it have a frog or not?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Davidson 'Ripple' vase - did it have a frog or not?
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
I don' recall seeing this design before, but picked one up recently at the boot sale - very good nick - in 'Smoke', and 7" tall.   Got home and realized that I was minus the frog/internal divider (or whatever you call it).     cheers   Paul S.

Did the vase have a frog? The adverts shows just the bowls with frogs. Scroll to bottom http://www.cloudglass.com/Davidsonbetweenwars.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »
thanks for your reply.     Had you asked me when I first picked up this piece I wud have said no it probably wasn't designed to have a stem support  -  no internal lugs etc. etc., - but I'm sure that when I looked at one of the illustrations towards the back of the Stewart's book, the pic. seems to show something inside the vase, which I took to be a thingy for stems.    Maybe I have mis-interpreted that image.   I am at work at the moment, perhaps you have the book to hand and cud look for me (or is that also under the dust sheets  ;))

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »
To piggyback on your enquiry, I have a large Ripple vase in Ruby, yet on the Davidson Cloud Glass site, it gives Amber, Emerald, Smoke and Flint as the only known colours.  http://www.cloudglass.com/galllerybetweenwar.htm 

Does anyone know if this vase was also made in Ruby, perhaps in later years?  It seems to be impressed inside with the word Palia - does that mean anything to anyone?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Did the vase have a frog? The adverts shows just the bowls with frogs

The 741 vase is sometimes seen with a 'Wheel' flower support, see here: http://www.cloudglass.com/Frogs.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »
thanks re the correct name of a 'wheel' support  -  and have just looked again in the Davidson book - page 150 - and top left is a pic. of a 'Smoke' vase showing the 'Wheel' in situ, which was what was in the back of my mind.    However, judging by the comments on the Stewarts web page I don't stand much of a chance of finding a 'Wheel' in smoke, so I will settle for an example in 'Briar'................any offers  :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:29:34 PM »
Littleblackhen  -  I have tried googling the word 'palia' but unable to find anything that makes too much sense.    Incidentally, does the size of your vase fit with the standard heights for this design  i.e. 5"/7"/9" and 11"?

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Hi Paul

I didn't have any success with google either, but it is hard to read as it is right on the base inside, there is other writing that I can't make out, perhaps a reg. design number. The vase is 7 inches tall.

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
if you clean really well, and use a half decent camera, you should  :) end up with an image something like (or better than) the attached.    This I took on close-up with the camera held at the mouth of the vase.    Don't forget that the Australian design no. is 18221, apparently.   Now that I have shown you mine, may we please see yours ;)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
I did try and get a photo, but my camera is not great and I just got a blur.  I have just had another good look at it with a magnifying glass, and it appears to say G BFI   3344 and I think it might be AUSTRALIA not PALIA!  Does that make any more sense?  I noticed that the reg design number was 833445 but it doesn't look as though any numbers are missing, although the printing is bad and some letters are very faint.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
bit of a stab really, but if you are seeing nos. like 3344 then I would have thought this was indicating a GB production piece, and not a down under jobby  -  and sounds as though your vase may have been pressed from a worn mould.     But thats only a guess.     We really need a knowledgeable person to help us now, especially since your colour seems to be non standard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand