No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson 'Ripple' vase - did it have a frog or not?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Davidson 'Ripple' vase - did it have a frog or not?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
 :hi: Sorry Paul, no further wheels I'd know of  :thud:

beautiful colour too BTW  :sm:

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
Widening this a little (sorry, mods) to cover the whole question of frogs (a word I never heard in the industry by the way)/blocks/holders and plinths.  I can't speak for Davidsons, where I had hardly anything to do with domestic sales (apart from teaching the sales manager to drive!) but I don't expect they were much different in this respect to Sowerbys.  Here I had a lot to do with sales and, regardless of what appeared in the catalogues and price lists, any customer could order exactly what he wanted, i.e. with or without the bits and pieces or even the bits and pieces themselves if he fancied marrying them with someone else's product.

So anyone without a frog or whatever can rest assured that the vase or bowl may very well be in exactly the condition in which it left thefactory.

Adam D.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
That's what I keep telling them; the customer could have whatever he wanted.

Is this one Sowerby please Adam? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26104.0.html

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
Christine - Sorry - been away.  Also sorry your bowl/vase is nothing like I ever saw at Sowerbys (or Davidsons).

Just to add a little to what I said re sets of vase/frog/plinth etc.  People nowadays may imagine such sets to be packed together in pretty (or even plain) cartons.  No way.  At Sowerbys, at least until 1957, every article (not set) was individually wrapped in colour-coded (i.e. amber, green, white etc) tissue after washing and was warehoused and packed like that.  Packing was with straw in large returnable wooden barrels (honestly!) or for small orders in tea chests or if the customer had complained that barrels would not pass through his shop door!  Individual parts of "sets" might be anywhere in the container.

Tea chests were non-returnable but barrels were individually marked.  On return, waste straw was removed (by our two coopers - maintenance of the barrels) and any glass, usually in the bottom layer, was recorded to await the inevitable complaint of shortages.

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand