No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange paperweight item  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Antonia

• Members
Re: Strange paperweight item
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:31:14 PM »
Here's the picture.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
These appear to me to be match-strikers. Have a look at this web-site:

http://tobaccoantiques.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=2

You'll see a ceramic example on Page 1 at the bottom right-hand corner; Item No: 2231, by Carlton Ware. The striker on top and the dish for the spent matches below.

Match-strikers used to work in the days of more volatile non-safety matches but obviously those with an abrasive surface worked best. Most glass examples have a threaded surface and worked reasonably well, however the examples in question probably did not work quite so well and in view of this were not made in great numbers.

It used to be quite possible to light a match by running it over a piece of glass, the heat of the friction used to be enough to do it.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
I doubt these are match strikers, because true match strikers (always??) have a section in which the matches are stored ready for use - and these "saucer weights" have no such section.

However the similarity of the general shape of the Carlton Ware item in the linked website is noteworthy.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:31:57 PM »
For confirmation, the one that I commented on back in 2003, when Bob Hall first showed it at a CPC meeting, is indeed the one that Antonia now has.

I cannot find my original photos but I located two small images I used for a "Mystery Item" section in a former version of the CPC website. See below for the two images - which (hopefully) clearly show the grey colour of the clear glass.
KevinH

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
You're absolutely right, KevH.

Working from the first three photos alone I thought that there was a cavity on the top in which to store the matches, however on looking at the last photograph posted I can now see that it is a circular facet.

There doesn't appear to be a smiley to indicate short-sightedness!!
Nicholas

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
about time we resurrected this thread as we have another to add to this little collection

A variation on the saucer.   This one does not have a saucer. The base is bevelled at a slight angle as if it to fit into something. The bevel is roughly ground and polished.

So maybe it had a saucer.   Anyway, grey glass, same size as the other saucer weights, and flat top. 
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
I think this latest one was sold through auction last year and I was seriously thinking about trying for it but then decided not to.

Martin's photo of the underside clearly shows the grinding to the outer edge of the "foot". To me it looks very much like a repair job to a broken saucer section, which would have been just like the other few examples we know about.
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
Hi Kevin

yes it was at auction - in a mixed lot.  Thanks for not bidding  ;D  It was a reasonable price in the end.  I agree that it probably had a saucer that was removed, possible as it was damaged.   The fact that the base is bevelled might suggest that it was done to fit into something - maybe a newel post
Martin

Offline dndsys

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
I just wanted to add to this thread that I have a one of these Vasart millefiori items only mine
is on a pedestal rather then a saucer.

:)

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Did you get this at auction about 2 years ago??  I have an image of one with the canes sitting on a beige/flesh coloured base that was sold in June 2011.  However I cannot put that on here as I do not  have permission.   It would be interesting if you could submit an images
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand