No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: identification of heavy glass vase.prob kosta dont know anyone help????  (Read 2031 times)

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
hello.
not my type of glass but i had to buy it.can anyone offer an opinion to who made the piece and when before i use it as a door stop.its very heavy exceeding 5kilos.it measures 8.5"h and the square base is 3"sq.facet cut front and back.on square cut polished base.i thought i knew my glass till now.
any help would be much appreciated.
all the best.
B/B

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
它从中国来!

Hi,
Welcome to the board. Sadly your vase isn't Kosta, it's fairly recent Chinese production. Still, these vases are very nice quality and interest in Chinese glass is growing, albeit slowly...

Steven

Offline keith

• Members
I agree with Steven,I got this a while ago hoping it was a new Murano studio piece,think they are related?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
They are related in that they probably came in on the same pallet Keith.  I've seen both types sitting next to each other in shops.  They actually sell very cheap for the amount of glass you get...I think they're pretty cool really.  <~contentious statement there!   :24:

I am not a man

Offline keith

• Members
Nice one Max, :24: :24: cool and heavy...man 8) :24:

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
thanks for that glass people.just shows really that maybe murano glass isnt as difficult and complex as maybe the collectors think if the chineese can pump out pallet loads for peanuts maybe in 100 years it will be worth something but i can say for its money its way better......i will just stick to monart and holmegaard i think its much safer....
happy collecting.......

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think you're doing the Chinese a great diservice, bb. Glassmaking ability improves with experience and practice, and while some folk in China with no artistic talent are making glass, many do have it - just the laws of probability.
And some Monart is pretty revolting! Did you see the hideous purple and lilac
thing that went for nearly £800 recently - barf!  :-X
I rather like your big vase.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand