No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori paperweight.. is it Clichy? Ans: Yes it is!  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Millefiori paperweight.. is it Clichy ?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:28:06 AM »
Oh do tell please, on FB if you like. Mum lives in Norfolk (sister nr Bourne)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »
cor blow me i cant give away all me secrets, you'll all be down there on mass clear the place out  :24:. Ive emailed you the details.  ;D Its Huntingdonshire

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:23:29 AM »
 :kissy: We don't go often enough for you to worry, but we do like new places to go.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
Hi Michelle,
It gives me hope to carry on looking  :pb:.  <------ me looking for another in another antique centre !
I wonder if France would be a better place to look for an old French paperweight ! (But you've just proved that the chances of finding a bargain unknown/unrecorded weight on these shores has just gone up ten fold ...at least !!)  ;)  :chky:
Mike

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »
Im afraid at 30 i dont have much of a life i spend half of it at work, the other half in charity shops/car boots/auctions/antiques fairs/antiques shops (would much prefer it to be 1/4 at work and 3/4 for the rest  ;D)
Surpisingly i have had a couple of lucky finds, although i still hold out hope i will have a find like that lady a few years back on antiques roadshow who bought a plant for £1 on a car boot, took it out of the plant pot which she wasnt to keen on, after a friend advised her too took it to AR and they told her it was R Lalique worth £25,000 she sold it shortly after for over £26,000 and she still had the plant  ;D.... one day.. one day
It is all still out there we just have to keep looking and researching  :thup:
michelle

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »
Your life sounds like my life LOL. But there are bargains out there like my water set  and your PW and I think the more you look and handle stuff and look at what other people find, the better your chances.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
Just going through my books and in the Millers buyers guide glass Jeanette Hayhurst (consultant) On page 219 third row down on the right side, is a Clichy weight that has the same formation as mine, unfortunitly that page is in black and white, but it does say central white rose, so it is different as mine has a purple and white cane.
Nice valuation too, although i know there is a big difference between book price and actual price, plus mines not perfect
cheers
michelle

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I would suggest having the weight looked at by an expert. It probably is in it's original unrestored state and you could have a look at the cost of having it restored and if you wish to sell then go through Sotherby's or another auction house. There is a great collection of Clichy weights at the Museum of Bristol which will compare with yours , so you could contact them for starters. I suggest sending them your photos . Cheers Mike.
Mike

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
Check out the PCC Website photos from the 1999 Exhibition. On the front page of the site, point to the "Events" menu then click on "Past exhibitions". Scroll to bottom of page and click the link "Index here" under 1"999 Christie's, London". Then clck on the entry for "Clichy (Pedestal, Concentric, Scramble, Related Items)".

There are eight weights shown with a variation on the basic concentric theme. The weight titled "Concentric 47" is of the same design and colour ground as the one discussed here.
KevinH

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
Perfect 160 year old paperweights are hard to come by  ;) so I wouldn't worry about imperfections.

If you plan to sell it I would recommend against repolishing it, some collectors prefer pieces in their original
condition, and those who like perfection can have it repolished at their own expense and risk,
repolishing does take away a bit of glass and can reduce the appeal of the paperweight.

You loose a little bit of magnification with each repolish and you run the risk of cracks or even total catastrophe.

If you're planning to keep it then it's up to you, I think it looks great as is, but that's just me.

I am no expert on sizes tho so it could have been repolished once already.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand