No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: views of glass in Rye - Sussex - U.K.  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
views of glass in Rye - Sussex - U.K.
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Had a good time today at Rye, on the east Sussex coast (U.K.) at Andy McConnell's showroom - and do I need to win the lottery more than ever now!   Thought you might like to see some of the mouth watering pieces he currently has (minus the 2 pieces I bought, of course),   If you haven't been - and you get the chance  -  it is a must, no matter what period/production/style you collect.    There is something for everyone, and I can't recommend it highly enough.    Sorry mods. if I have put this in the wrong place, and my sincere thanks to Andy McConnell for his permission to use these images in the public domain.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: views of glass in Rye - Sussex - U.K.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
Thanks for posting these Paul - it's probably the closest I'll be getting to his place in quite a while.  So come on what did you get?

Suzy x

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »
The proverbial Alladins cave eh?   I want to visit and go to one of his lectures - sadly it's and long way from Cumbria to Sussex :cry:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
ssshhhhhh  -  provided this is just between you and me Suzy...........I bought the black Azurene Mdina vase (top right in the second picture  -  drool) and a lovely Webbs Bull's Eye conical vase in amber/uranium - which I hope to post, as I shall be grateful for Lustrousstone's opinion.   Must admit I wasn't really aware of the lectures that Steph mentions  -  will have to look into that side of things.   Has anyone else been along to these??    Steph  -  you should move down south to where the civilized people live ;)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »
I'd like to see a close up of it when you can Paul - and it's base.  Azurene is an IOWSG range, but Mdina have also produced some pieces that have the same look - very post Harris.  A piece from the States has just finished - Mdina shape but azurene style - ebay No 280502810213.

Suzy x

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
My sincere apologies Suzy  -  that was a genuine slip on my part :-[.   You are quite correct of course, it is IOWSG - and because I had been looking in Mark Hill's book and thinking of Mdina I confused myself.    It has, of course, the flame pontil mark, and is very similar to the vase on page 86 (lower left) in Mark Hill's book - although my piece is a little taller at 9".   I have attached a few pictures as requested, including the base.    Thanks again for bringing the error to my notice.
Reference:    'Michael Harris - Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass' - by Mark Hill - 2006.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
This is a really early example of azurene - the flame pontil mark was phased out shortly after this range was developed, though I'm sure if you're trawling through the book you've worked this out for yourself. 

Well done  :hiclp:

Suzy x

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
Andy McConnell's lectures are great, he is entertaining, informative and enthusiastic.

I heard him speak on the subject of 20th century glass a few years ago when an antiques society in Cardiff booked him and I was lucky enough to gatecrash.

John

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Lucky you - I've also heard he's very good, well worth emailing him for dates of forthcoming lectures & talks. :thup:

Paul, I'd willingly move back if it wasn't for all that traffic and hoards of people - civilized I don't think so..  :spls:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
You're right in many ways Steph  -  traffic is mind blowing - noisy - M25 is the biggest car park in the world - yes, and even the hoards of people detract from the peace and quiet of the country lanes - I've often thought of going up to Wales to escape from it all.   Some little slate roofed, white walled cottage - the villagers would touch their forelocks each time they saw me......and of a quiet summer's evening I could walk to the village pub and have a decent peaceful drink, watch the bats catching moths in the silent warmth of a late June night.......................AND THEN I REMEMBER........I'd be miles from all the decent boot sales :cry: :cry:
If someone finds out about any dates for Andy McConnell  -  please do let me know.   thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand