No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay - Vaseline Table Lamp  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Ebay - Vaseline Table Lamp
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Christine I'm one American that does not use the term Vaseline so there may be some hope. I use Uranium or reactive & when questioned it give me the opportunity to inform folks that Vaseline is a fictional term evidently invented by us (us meaning us in the U.S.) & while it can be somewhat descriptive its misleading since glass of many colors can glow if any of the Uranium Oxides were used in the batch formula.  Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:23 AM »
 ;D Join the club. It's hard enough explaining that it has to be the right sort of glow to contain uranium...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:07 AM »
Sorry Lustrousstone  -  wrong emoticon  -  when I have worked all this out, am sure I will appreciate a lot more what I actually have.   Webb is a favourite of mine, so would be nice if it had been theirs.     Is there a good book about 'Webb'  production (with plenty of pictures) that I can get hold of?     cheers           

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
They may be Webb, just not Sunshine Amber. Look in Skelcher

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »
I've dug my reference book out, and it seems we have another to add to the list of factual errors...
It's "Glass Source Book" by Jo Marshall, p.101.
"Two unusual colours were produced in the 1830s by Joseph Reidel in the Isergebirge, usung uranium to produce a greenish-yellow and a yellowish-green glass named Annagrum and Annagelb after his wife Anna."

(the Annageld was completely my mistake, though.)

:thup: I wondered if we'd see your fabulous Webb vase, Christine!  :D

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
I did consider starting a new post, but consider it relates to points already made, so remained here.   Without getting too deep, I have followed the suggestion and looked again at some of my coloured 'Webb' (Thomas Webb) - re Skelcher etc.
Something I hadn't fully realized was the unfortunate image/colour difference between the examples of 'Sunshine Amber' shown in Barrie Skelcher's two books.    You would be forgiven for thinking that the very odd looking pictures in the earlier volume were not in fact the same type of glass as shown in the later book, where pictures are very realistic.    I don't recall this very unfortunate difference being mentioned in the recent review of the later book.
Oddly, Skelcher doesn't refer to the expression 'Gay Glass'.     The attached pictures show a couple of standard 'Amber' Bull's Eye bowls (non Ur.) - plus a small bowl in yellowish green glass which flouresces, so I'm thinking this is from the 'Gay Glass' range, but it appears to be far too pale to be 'Amber Sunshine'.   On the Glasseye web site, there is mention of a lighter colour called 'Spring Sunshine'(?)  -  might it be this?
Regrettaly, in the light of comments earlier in this thread, the titles of the books in question are doubtless mis-leading - although as they are U.S. productions it is understandable :), but I certainly wouldn't be without them.
I see also Sue that your book mis-spells Josef's name ;)
References:  The Big Book of Vaseline Glass - 2002...........and Vaseline Glassware - 2007
both by Barrie Skelcher and published by Schiffer.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »
Gay Glass was a range of glassware introduced in 1933 that came in four patterns (plain, Venetian Ripple, Old English Bullseye and Cut Water Lily) and four colours (crystal, Spring {eau de nil}, Sunshine {golden amber} and Evergreen {old Bristol green}. See the advert in Hajdamach, 20th Century British Glass.

Your bowls are both Bullseye but I don't know for how long the Gay Glass marketing tag was used. I think the thinness of the glass makes the uranium not look like Sunshine. Uranium glass has to be got just right to see its true colour. 

I don't recall this very unfortunate difference being mentioned in the recent review of the later book.
It was a general first impressions review. I didn't do a section by section comparison!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:24 AM »
thanks Christine.         In fact one book (out of dozens no doubt), that I don't yet have is Hajdamach, C20 British Glass.   Must get it soon, as it appears to be highly recommended (I do have his volume for C19 material - which is very good).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
As a parting shot on this thread - and needing Lustrousstone's input again please  -  I am attaching some pictures of what I believe is genuine Webb's Gay Glass in Golden Amber Sunshine (Uranium).   Height is about 6", and the thickness is something like 4mm - 4.5mm (sorry for mixing metric and imperial).   This piece is a really rich amber, in Bull's Eye pattern, and has the etched "Made in - Webbs - England", in the centre of the polished pontil mark.   Would appreciate an expert's opinion please.
"It was a general first impressions review. I didn't do a section by section comparison"!  - do you think this now alters your opinion about the second volume - exonerate it - and lift it's value a bit more, after all, your review was rather scathing of the author's later offering  ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand