No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me ID the Maker of these fish - ID = FM Konstglas Ronneby  (Read 6095 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Please help me ID the Maker of these fish
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »
[...By the way, your FMK was new to me! ;D

That was my own bit of laziness. I'd said the name once or twice, so the initials seemed a good way to save monotony. It's one of the things that come with living in the USA. We like using initials for everything.  :)

I believe we can move this thread to Scandinavian glass with a definite FMK attribution.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:41 AM »
I often see their animals and fish misidentified as Cenedese. Their fish pop up frequently on eBay with an Antonio Da Ros attribution. Ingela helped me with a muskox that was FM Ronneby. I thought maybe it was a good quality Cenedese. I was not surprised when I learned what it was, because the base was more highly polished than is typical for Cenedese.

That was a good example of collectability versus good quality.

People invest in a well known name/designer/location (for instance probably Cenedese/Murano) - one price level.
Confirmed FM Konstglas Ronneby - price level substantially lower

It was the same muskox, the same good quality but very few have heard of FM Konstglas Ronneby.
Unsigned Murano is rated higher!
all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:34:39 AM »
People invest in a well known name/designer/location (for instance probably Cenedese/Murano) - one price level.
Confirmed FM Konstglas Ronneby - price level substantially lower

It was the same muskox, the same good quality but very few have heard of FM Konstglas Ronneby.
Unsigned Murano is rated higher!

In the fickle word of glass collecting, this may not be the case next week. Popularity of different companies rise and fall. I think the better quality Ronneby glass is a good investment. The execution is superb. The glass has fluid lines that are elegant. It was the fluidity of the lines around the face that made me suspect these fish were FMK.

IMO, the thing that hurts the secondary market for FMK are the small trinkets that have unappealing (to me) designs. But then every company has these bread and butter pieces. With the poor designs being attributed to them and the better designs being called Murano, it can be tough to raise people's opinions. But it is okay for collectors because they don't have to pay as much.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
Wow. another intriguing run of discussion - I've learnt a lot in a short time......This board is just brilliant!!  :thup: thanks steph.

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
One thing I find difficult is the following the history of the Marcolin companies -- mergers and acquisitions. From what Ingela wrote, these fish are FM Ronneby, instead of FM Konstglas Ronneby. I need to learn the history better. For now I'm pleased to have gotten to the point of identifying some of the glass made by the Marcolin companies.

I meant to get back to you about this ..... companies, mergers and acquisitions. I'm not quite sure what you mean?

There have been no mergers or acquisitions!
all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand