No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass rock engraved with sticker looked everywhere  (Read 1157 times)

Offline kazleeb

• Members
glass rock engraved with sticker looked everywhere
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:18 PM »
hi,this has got a bird sitting on a branch engraved onto it the branch continues on the back,the sticker say's torrington crystle,english,hand-cut,looked everywhere when i google torrington i get dartington,thanks kaz

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Re: glass rock engraved with sticker looked everywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
Torrington is the place in North Devon where  Dartington Glass (now called Dartington Crystal) was originally established and still exists today. I have no idea whether they have used (or are using) labels 'Torrington Crystal' but it may be worth emailing them or asking a mod to put Dartington in the title of your thread to attract other members to read this.

http://www.dartington.co.uk/about/

Hil  :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »
Hi,

Last time I was down there (Torrington) I noticed a shop front (not in the centre) that appeared to be full of cut glass. I was driving at the time and on my way elasewhere. Perhaps this might be 'Torrington Crystal' ? Maybe buying in blanks to be cut - something that used to be far more common.

BTW your piece is more likely referred to as a finished 'cullet' form that has been engraved.

Nigel

EDIT: Having goggled Torrington Crystal, as you say, nothing comes up as that, but there are four companies associated with engraving and glass in Torrington. If all else fails, why not phone 'em and see if any of them use that label?

Offline kazleeb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
thankyou both will start ringing and emailing,kaz

Offline kazleeb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
hi,found out that this is a sticker from a one man operation,based in torrington in the 70's the nice ppl from dartington gave me the info,kaz

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
Result! He probably bought his crystal from Dartington.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand