No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
Picked up this vase today & went through a Scandanavian reference I have. Evidently I am not savy enough to figure out what the initials actually are, I mean are they A,B,C, etc. I know the first set is the design number 2087, but the first alpha letter I simply cannot make out. The 2nd set should be the designer, but again even then I cannot make out the alpha letters. Its 9" height & 6" diameter. Tried to get the best shots I could of the vase & the lady with the jar on her shoulder & basket of fruit. She is 5" in height. Bottom has bad wear so its difficult to get a perfectly clear shot. Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
The first set could be L 2087 or P 2087, L would be a design by Vicke Lindstrand, P a design by Sven Palmqvist, (looks like an L to me and a design from the thirties).

The second set may refer to the engraved design and the engraver's initials.

John

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Good eyes John ! L 2087, design from 1939.

B4 is the letter code for manufacture in 1947.
I can't see an engraver with just J, but there is a JR(John Rosenstam) 1923 - 1962

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
Thanks John & Taylog, appreciate your knowledge. For the life of me I'd never have known that was a 4 as I kept trying to decipher it as an alpha character. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand