Author Topic: Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase  (Read 648 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
Picked up this vase today & went through a Scandanavian reference I have. Evidently I am not savy enough to figure out what the initials actually are, I mean are they A,B,C, etc. I know the first set is the design number 2087, but the first alpha letter I simply cannot make out. The 2nd set should be the designer, but again even then I cannot make out the alpha letters. Its 9" height & 6" diameter. Tried to get the best shots I could of the vase & the lady with the jar on her shoulder & basket of fruit. She is 5" in height. Bottom has bad wear so its difficult to get a perfectly clear shot. Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Deciphering Orrefors Code on Vase
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
The first set could be L 2087 or P 2087, L would be a design by Vicke Lindstrand, P a design by Sven Palmqvist, (looks like an L to me and a design from the thirties).

The second set may refer to the engraved design and the engraver's initials.

John

Offline taylog1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Good eyes John ! L 2087, design from 1939.

B4 is the letter code for manufacture in 1947.
I can't see an engraver with just J, but there is a JR(John Rosenstam) 1923 - 1962

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
Thanks John & Taylog, appreciate your knowledge. For the life of me I'd never have known that was a 4 as I kept trying to decipher it as an alpha character. Ken

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com