No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I thought this was a Skrdlovice Beranek vase... now I'm not sure ID = confirmed  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hello!

I'm confused...

I've got a really wonderful vase with pulled lobes...  it is about 20cm tall and has a flat polished base with wear to it.  Though it looks greyish in the pictures, it actually has a really pretty lilac color which can be seen when it's held up to the light.

I was under the impression that I got my hands on a fabulous Beranek for Skrdlovice vase. But now, after looking through "Hi Sklo Lo Sklo", I'm confused.  The lobes on my vase look different than the lobes on the vases presented on page 27 and 29.  What kind of vase have I got?

I know there are several kind and highly knowledgable souls which can set me straight...  please help  :)

Thank you!

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: I thought this was a Skrdlovice Beranek vase... now I'm not sure
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »
Looks good to me,
as long as it is amethyst and not smoke!

Robert

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
Amethyst... That's the color I was looking for to describe my vase, but my silly brain couldn't remember the word -- that's why I wrote 'lilac' instead :pb:

So it is a Beranek vase for Skrdlovice?  Is it like the one on page 29 of "Hi Sklo..."?  (I think it looks more like the one on page 27, but the colors aren't right -- mine doesn't have two colors cased in clear, but only one). And is it from the 60s?
[Sorry for the stupid questions... please be gentle with me :-\ ]

Thank you, Robert!  ;D

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »

It is similar to the vase in the recent thread, "Lilac knobby vase - ID = Skrdlovice by Emanuel Beranek, pattern 5460," as attributed by Jindrich. 1954 would be the year of design for that vase mentioned above.

Your vase was certainly designed in the 50's at Skrdlovice and the colour would appear to confirm that it was produced then, though similar vases were produced for another thirty years or more. Several patterns from this time, the 1950's, are very similar and various Beraneks made very similar patterns of vases like this, most just attributed to Jan Beranek but several Beraneks made similar vases before he designed his famous pieces. Jan Beranek cannot claim to have originated this style of Skrdlovice vase, it was a family developed design style, involving various relatives, organically. Also the individual hand modelling at the furnace means slight differences can occur in any case.  Specific attribution may take time, beyond it being certainly a 1950's Skrdlovice vase designed by a Beranek. Jindrich may more confidently comment in more detail but it looks to me slightly different from 5460 but very similar in terms of year and factory,

Robert

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:12:41 AM »
It is similar to the vase in the recent thread, "Lilac knobby vase - ID = Skrdlovice by Emanuel Beranek, pattern 5460," as attributed by Jindrich. 1954 would be the year of design for that vase mentioned above.

Before I posted a new topic, I looked at all the Beranek vase topics posted on the board.  I saw Rose's vase, and decided that although there are many similarities, my vase is still different, hence my confusion  :-\

Once again, thank you, Robert!  I am so happy that my vase is a Beranek vase  ;D

Anik

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
This shape was very popular becouse it was very easy and fast to produce it.  Shape and size can slighly vary, it has been in production for many years.

So I would keep my previous attribution 5460 - Emanuel Beránek

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

For Czech glass fans, here are some pictures from the showroom of Beranek Glassworks in Skrdlovice (1992 - 2008) just after closing production.
Tall long-hair man is owner of factory Mr. Vlastimil Beranek, short fat man is me and the third gentleman is Mr. Frantisek Vizner.

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/BeranekSShowroomDecember2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCMqS8Jrlutei3QE#

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:53:51 AM »
Hi Jindich great pics i love the last one as i am very into nice jugs , very tactile . :-[ >:D :chky:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »
THANK YOU ROBERT AND JINDRICH!!!!!!!  I am so pleased  ;D ;D ;D

For Czech glass fans, here are some pictures from the showroom of Beranek Glassworks in Skrdlovice (1992 - 2008) just after closing production.
Tall long-hair man is owner of factory Mr. Vlastimil Beranek, short fat man is me and the third gentleman is Mr. Frantisek Vizner.http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/BeranekSShowroomDecember2008?authkey=Gv1sRgCMqS8Jrlutei3QE#

BTW, it's lovely to know who the three gentlemen are.... but who is the lovely lady in the last picture?   :24:

Wonderful pictures, Jindrich!  Thank you!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »
Just glassmaster' s desk  :)

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum