No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Identity of mermaid Bowl - ID = Inwald Barolac  (Read 4946 times)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Help with Identity of mermaid Bowl - ID = Inwald Barolac
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
Hi Guys and thanks so much for all of you that gave me info on the Wlather Rotterdam Lamp and its appropriate shade.

My latest puzzle is this very large (over 12 ins diam) Amber bowl.

It has 3 feet and 3 swimming mermaids and the rim is decorated with lily pads and flowers.  The inside base has a raised circle rim where the flower frog sits inside exactly the same as the Inwald Poisson Volant frog does.

I have seen only one version of this at  Newark once and the bowl was clear frosted glass but the raised central ring was missing so it had obviously been a different production version (perhaps later).  This is deffinitely an old piece but I can find no reference to it anywhere which is odd for an obvious quality item.
Does anyone have any info??

Thanks again

Markus

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Help with Identity of mermaid Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Hi,

This bowl is from the Barolac range, originally produced by Inwald at Rudolfova Hut in the former Czechoslovakia. Most of the designs date from the mid thirties but have been in production for many years. I can't recall the catalogue no. for this particular pattern, but it's likely included on the CD that comes with Marcus Newhall's book. Interestingly there appear to have been a few variants of this pattern made, some with the fitting for a frog some without, while other versions have a smooth rim.

Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »
Just found it in the 1949/52 Glassexport Barolac catalogue (available from www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de). The mermaid pattern bowl is shown as no. 11105.

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:01 PM »
Thanks so much for that Steven.  My friend will be delighted that she now knows its origins but I had already suggested it might be an inwald piece by the similarities on the frog style & fixing alone.

Markus Berg

Offline meegs

• Members
Mermaid Bowl Glassexport Inwald Barolac no. 11105
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »
Hello Everyone,
Should this bowl have had a centre piece in the middle of the flower frog?
If so what does it look like?
I have tried to navigate my way around this site but my lack of German is a hindrance!

Thank-you
Meegs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand