No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nanny Still and Otto Bauer vases/bottles.  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Nanny Still and Otto Bauer vases/bottles.
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »
I know this is a bit immature, and boastful - but just couldn't go to bed withough showing them.   Both from the same charity shop today, and for less than a fiver for the two of them, and neither are marked with even the slightest flea bite!   I didn't know that Gulv Vase meant 'floor vase', but don't think I will put this anywhere near the floor ;D  The Nanny Still is apparently a 'Koristepullo bottle', and is signed on the base as you can see.   The Gulv Vase is 12" tall - and am I right in thinking that the white ones are the earliest - about 1960.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Nanny Still and Otto Bauer vases/bottles.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
Eeeek.  :mrgreen:

John

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
Gulvvase (all one word) in opal/white had the longest production span of the cased gulvvaser - about 18 years (c.1962 - 1980). Your vase could easily date from any time along that timeline.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
A fiver! well done Paul,a couple of months ago I saw a blue Gulvvase and the dealer wanted £400,is that an average price for these or was he hoping?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »
my thanks for your replies, and appreciate the etymology correction on 'gulvvase'.   The base does show a reasonable amount of wear, so am thinking/hoping probably somewhere earlier in that time frame.       I am led to beleive Keith that certain cased colour combinations do fetch substantial sums, although four hundred does sound a bit on the high side  - maybe it was signed ;D.    In fact I wouldn't go out of my way to pay big money for them - finding one unexpectedly for 'small beer' is much of the fun of glass collecting.    Now, if I can just find a couple more in red and blue............ ;D     Anyway, these are definitely keepers.   thanks again for your time.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
£400 might be achievable for the 20.75" model in opal/blue cased because that size is much less common than any other. 12" models are quite easy to pick up and so fetch considerably less.

The best colours to look out for, IMO, are the early dark red cased ones, and green cased ones.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
wow that's some size, and must create a really stunning visual impression.    thanks for the suggestions as to colour desireability, and if I get the chance will remember what you have said.   Dark red and green certainly would be striking colours.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Hi Paul - salutations, I acknowledge you've had a super duper southern buy!!! :mrgreen: cheers steph. However if I can manage it, I'll put some pics of  my 'this years northern' finds in the cafe.  Just so as not to be out done, you understand!  cheers steph.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
You can't post pix in the cafe, but if it's glass you can show and tell on any of the glass boards. It's not all about IDs and show and tell creates some interesting discussions.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
ah ha - thanks for that guidance - I'll get used to the site in time I suppose  :-[ cheers steph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand