No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three Czech Pink & Chartreuse Harrtil Glass Vases by Harrachov  (Read 5269 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Hello all.  I recently purchased these three vases at an estate auction.  I believe the type of glass is "harrtil".  Can anyone give me an approximate date and glass company that possibly made these.  I'm aware that there are several different designers that created this type of glass.  Are the colors any signifier as to one designer in particular?  The largest is 9", 6", and 4.5" inches tall and all with highly polished bases.

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Three Czech Pink & Chartreuse Harrtil Glass Vases
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Hi Dirk,
according to Ivos book, Harrtil - Glass made by Harrachov from 1955 , with inlayed colour threads.
Some examples here,
http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/1932

Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:47 AM »
Andy, thank you for your reply.  That is a good link for reference.  It's curious though, that the piece of the same color scheme had a Venetian label attached.  Good to know that I didn't pay too much for the three that I bought.  I think they will increase in value in years to come.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
In Italy where it was invented, the technique is called merletto.

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
These are correctly identified as Harrtil.  They are pictured and discussed in Ada Polak's book "Modern Glass."  These pieces are quite uncommon, bordering on rare.  Additionally, you have really great color schemes; usually they're only seen in pink.  These are the first polychrome pieces I've ever seen anywhere.  Wonderful stuff, you're lucky.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
Hi Paul,
Modern Glass (Monographs on Glass) (Hardcover) Ada Polak 1962
Is it a good book??  Modern glass from 1962 (that makes it 2 years more modern than me  :24: )
Would you recommend it??
Cheers
Andy

Offline paulbowen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
It depends on how much of a glass fanatic you are.  If you don't need it for use with these pieces, you can probably skip it.  On the other hand, it is one of the very few places that Harrtil is shown with a photo and discusssed.  As far as the rest of the book goes, when it was published, it was way ahead of its time, a masterpiece.  Today, however, most of what is in it is available elsewhere, with better photos.  Emphasis on MOST, however; if you're really a glass fanactic, there are juicy details in it that aren't available elsewhere. 

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Three Czech Pink & Chartreuse Harrtil Glass Vases by Harrachov
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
Thanks Paul  :thup:

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Harrtil - Půlpitel + Metelák, second half of 50ties

Just for fun two from my collection

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:38:27 AM »
I've got a few Harrtil (not as many as Jindrich, I'll bet). The colour combination is not really rare, but is usually found in the the same form as the second of Jindrich's. It's also found in a big vase of which I've seen three.  I think the bigger of the two of Dorian's vases on the left is very rare. I certainly haven't seen it before. The Murano label on the piece that Dorian mentions is an import label which was stuck on in error. (I've got the piece.)

If you do a search of Harrtil on here , you'll find quite a lot.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand