No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini Hourglass info needed  (Read 5237 times)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Venini Hourglass info needed
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
I need the Murano crew to help on this one - a friend has a 6" Venini hourglass they would like to find out more about.  Mainly whether it's genuine, it's age and it's approximate worth as they may consider selling it.  I'm out of my depth with this one so hopefully I find some answers here.  I've added a pic of the hourglass and another of the bung.  Does the colour combination have any bearing on it's desirability?  I found quite a few online - but different sizes/colours.

Suzy x

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Venini Hourglass info needed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »
Suzy, the current Venini catalogue doesn't show this colour, and the size given there for these is 22cm high, although the earlier catalogue I have on CD gives some at 28cm as well (limited edition versions), so I'm not sure about your friend's one - 6" would equal 15cm so quite a bit smaller than the catalogue versions. Also, it's not a colour combo that's shown in the earlier catalogue - but it maybe even earlier than my catalogue of course!

You don't say if your friend's one is marked Venini or not?

Meanwhile, I'll pop this over into Murano as someone there may be able to help - it'll not drop down the page so fast as it will do in Glass either. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
Thanks Anne.

This one isn't marked.  I have looked at the Venini cat. which is why I came looking for the extra help of the Board.  

I did find a sold one on ebay that is 14.3cmH in red/green that is marked with acid etched 'Venini Murano Italia'. Ebay no. 130388057849.

Have also found one with a pale pink bulb, 15.5cmH sold at Christie's, says attributed to Venini so I'm assuming it's not marked as the ones that are state it.  Dated to c1940's.

Suzy x

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
Hi,

Could your friend's hourglass possibly be a newer reproduction version made by Cesare Toffolo?  Here is a link to their website.

http://www.toffolo.com/gallery/cesare_toffolo/contemporary/hourglass/

If so they make some nice ones too.

tam bam

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
Thanks for the link tam bam.  It's obviously a possibility, though this one does have a fair amount of age related wear.  It's unfortunate not to see a picture of the bung shape in the Toffolo pieces, that might help confirm it.  I don't suppose any one can provide a photo of a Venini one?

Suzy x

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
The bung on my friend's one is hard rubber - starting to perish a little so I guess it must be old, both the ends  have age wear to them, so it's been turned many times.  The only mention I've found of a pale pink is the Christie's one but no photo.  I know I'll just have to be patient and wait for more replies.   :angel:

Found very little on Toffolo, any idea when he started producing hourglasses? Obviously I'm still hoping that it's Venini but open to the fact it might not be!

Suzy x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »
Toffolo doesn't seem to do them in pink and blue.
Neither does he seem to be related to Franco Toffolo, which surprised me a little.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:23 PM »
Have just found these for auction in the States - the bung area of the one on the right looks the same as my friend's. Pushing me more towards Venini again for attribution.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7472902

Suzy x

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
not the best photo of the bung, but heres one we sold last year.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »
Going off topic, sorry Suzy,  :-*
Hi Martyn! - I think I just bought an inside-out vase from you.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand