No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HOOT - This one has a label  (Read 2168 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
HOOT - This one has a label
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:11:10 AM »
Hi there:
I am assuming this is a paperweight?  An owl with a label that say Norway, and also Hadeland.  It is about 2.5 inches tall.  I suppose that he is newer?  Thanks for any info....
 :)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: HOOT - This one has a label
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

If you Google Hadeland Glassverk, then select the English flag at the bottom of the home page, you can find lots of information about the company - such as that it has been in continuous operation since 1762 (I think your owl is more like 1992 though!).

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »
Thanks Alan -

I Had googled the words on the net, but I did not find a direct (person) maker, or the year made.  I trust this site as you guys here know a direct answer, and are so knowledgeable.  Having Never hearing this name before, it was all Greek to me.  This site proves sooooooooooo much more to direct questions.  Also, I was not sure, IF this a older label, or a newer one since it was Foil.  Also did not know if this label in the gallery.

Thank you Alan for your info.

I like the little fellow.....he's cute !! ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
Mod: I have (temporarily) moved this topic from Paperweights in the hope that some detailed info may be offered by those in the know.
KevinH

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
Hi

Your owl is one in a series of animal figures designed by Benny Motzfeldt in the early 1960’s, when she was employed at Hadeland. The series include a ducks, a kingfisher, a penguin, a seal, a rabbit and others. The series’ popularity was established immediately, since then US vice president Lyndon Johnson visited Norway with his wife, who was knowns as Lady Bird, and she fell in love with the kingfisher figure. Johnson ordered 150 kingfisher figures as gifts, and the whole series became a success, domestically and abroad. It was produced well into the 80’s. The label on your owl was introduced in 1970, so that should narrow it down a bit.

mbmb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand