No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: tapering chimney vase, dark grey green colour, ID = Whitefriars #9655  (Read 2876 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
ive had this one hanging around for yonks and never been able to put a definate ID on it.
Now i know quite a few companies did make this shape including whitefriars and some of the scandi companies.
The glass is a dark green colour although a quick glance and you would think it was a dark grey.
The rim is well polished with slighlty rounded edges (fire finished ??) Its then cased in clear.
The base has a slight concave (not a polished pontil), shows a little wear to the edge although not a great deal.
20cm tall, 3.5cm diameter rim, 4.75cm base diameter
I dont think its whitefriars as ive been unable to match the colour plus no polished pontil (obviously not all whitefriars has polished pontil)
any ideas?
many thanks
michelle

http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_5310.jpg
http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_5311.jpg

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hello Michelle  -  just as a personal comment (from a total ignoramus)  - if I were faced with a piece lacking a ground/bevelled/polished top rim PLUS having a simple mould finished base  -  I would probably err on the side of caution and not take the plunge.    However, having said that, I do appreciate that this particular design (or very similar) does have forebears with substantial provenance.   Anyone else??   

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Looks good for Whitefriars' 9655 vase in the 'Willow' colourway.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
cheers guys, comparing to the whitefriars site can sometimes be quite difficult i find, there willow looks much lighter than my vase, but then saying that if you compare from the top of mine where its colour is lightest, i would say yes your right Nic.
Size does seem to be spot on for the 9655 to whitefriars.com list it as 7? but reading a few "is it whitefriars" they list it as 7.75
And Paul ive known quite a few "total ignoramus" ('s) in my time and i can saftly say you far from one   ;D
cheers again
michelle

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Hi Michelle, just to add, like the nailheads and finger vases they came in both fire polished and flat ground rim versions, also in 3 different sizes
Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
well, wouldn't I have walked away from another good piece then - just when I thought I had ground tops, pontils and flat bases all stitched up :pb:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Never mind Paul, you can come sit in the dummies corner with me cos I can't get my head round those either! :kissy:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Thanks Chris, will have to remember that in future  :thup:
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum