No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black amethyst glue chip - Boom or Podebrady?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Black amethyst glue chip - Boom or Podebrady?
« on: November 28, 2005, 09:49:56 AM »
Oh the delights of a good camera. This one, for instance: Black amethyst glass (almost completely black) with a glue chip surface treatment, and gold painted. The reflections are sufficient to drive any camera mad.

http://tinypic.com/hwfsbp.jpg

Question is, of course, whodunnit. When  we see black glass with any type of decoration in these parts we immediately think "Boom, Belgium" - however, Boom glass is fully opaque - so is this a Czech piece?

Mod: This image has been deleted by Tinypics. It may be replaced at a later date.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
Has more of a Belgian feel than a Czech feel to me - but just pure guesswork.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »
Ivo on www.marktplaats.nl there are some black vases which aren't opaque glass one of which is signed by F. Merlin which is attributed to Boom.
Just type in Booms at the top of the page at 'zoeken' and you can see them. They are not like yours however, but they aren't opaque.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »
Thanks Della but the vases on Marktplaats mention "Hyalith" from Boom - which is completely opaque. I have several pieces Boom for comparison, that is why I doubt that this one is Boom as well. Also I've never seen the glue chip technique from Boom.  BTW, I've heard the new Boom book everybody's ben waiting for is out....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand