No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please ~ Illegibly signed and dated art glass bowl  (Read 1503 times)

Offline glassification

• Members
Help please ~ Illegibly signed and dated art glass bowl
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:54:51 PM »
Hi all ~ I have this lovely small bowl, 4 inches across, 3 inches tall.  A smokey grey glass, medium to thin thickness with black streaks through it.  It has an unfinished pontil and is signed and dated.  I can't read the signature, but I think the date is '83.  It looks like an 8 with the upper loop not closed.  I had another vase, same color and design about a year ago, same signature.  I bought them both locally (Western North Carolina,USA) from two different thrift stores.  I've been thinking it's Scandinavian, perhaps?  Here's a picture of the bowl first and then a picture of the best I can do on the signature.  Thanks for any help at all!  ~Mary

Mod: This image has been deleted by Imageshack or the poster. The GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:43:08 PM »
Hello Mary and welcome !
And a special welcome to the wonderful world of illegible signatures.
We will try, with your help, but don't expect miracles. I myself have a number of them I have yet to decypher.

It's tempting to think that a nice, simply styled bowl like this is from Scandinavia but I am most doubtful.

Some of the letters on this one look as thought they are in the Greek or Cyrillic (Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia) alphabet !
Anyone else think so or am I seeing things ?
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »
A larger image of the signature might help, my eyes at least :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:17:31 PM »
get the plugin  Image zoom 0.2.1 for Firefox - I don't know how we ever did witjhout it...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassification

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:55:06 AM »
Thank you for the kind welcome.  I have posted here before as "dishplay" but I forgot my password and the email address changed and well, here I am now some months later, Glassification  :)

Sorry, Frank, my camara is five years old and has been through the "heavy" cycle in the washing machine.  :(   So, that is the best I can do on a close up.  

Hmmm, Paradise, I don't think it's "Greek or Cyrillic (Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia) alphabet ! ",  :lol:  but it sure is a mess! (Maybe Israeli?) The first letter looks like a P, or may be an F, and the last name appears to start with a Bin, then maybe an S or a lower case f.  The last of it just looks like little squiggles that could r's, n's or i's.   :?  :?  :? ---I'll see if I can search through the old computer and see if I have a photo of the signature on the other piece I had and sold last year.

Darn, I was so hoping the style of the bowl would be recognizable by those who know this stuff.  Well, the world of illegible signatures is vast and wide, but at least I'm not alone!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand