No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latticino from Saint-Louis or Murano?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Latticino from Saint-Louis or Murano?
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »
This incredibly fine Latticino bottle 7" with a pink/ cranberry thread around the neck jumped off a stall at the Edinburgh antique fair last week. It has a tiny broken pontil, as expected.  To me this colour combination smacks of Saint-Louis - but could be Venetian or English as well.
Any hints, anyone?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Latticino from Saint-Louis or Murano?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
I vote for Murano, Ivo. Three companies I know did the tight latticino like this -- Venini, Barovier & Toso, and AVeM. There may be others.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: Thanks Anita. Any idea of a time frame? I won't pin you down on a decade or 3....

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
Most of what I've seen has been mid-century. Your vase looks like it could be an older one, but I don't know. I like the red rim. Are you thinking maybe 1940s? Anything I would say would just be a guess without finding the design.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »
There was a Scottish firm that did similar , quite early as well , Jenkins comes to mind i will check later when the wine is finished . Yes i was amazed when i saw my first piece in a book . jp

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
I'd like to join in this one please, if only because it makes me look at an area about which I know exceedingly little :)   The world and his wife created 'latticinio', of course  -  but taking just the U.K. and the states ........Looking through the books, re jp's comments, but going back into the C19, Alexander D. Jenkinson(Norton Part Glass Works), Ediburgh  -  are quoted as leading exponents of the Venetian-style  -  although the only image of their 'latticinio' I can see shows pieces without the same really tight threading.   Apparently Jenkinson ended up being part of Webb's Crystal.   Staying with the U.K., and again in the latter part of the C19, Stevens & Williams certainly created some 'latticinio' pieces, with possibly a tighter pattern.  As no doubt everyone else knows this 'facon de Venise' style was popularised by the material created by Salviati - in the C19 - and his connections with London - thence Powell etc., although Salviati's creations are in the more florid Venetian style.   Staying with The C19 we apparently have a company by the name of Dorflinger & Sons, White Mills, Penn., who also dabbled in about 1890 - 1900  -  and my only available image of their work shows the tightest of all lines, but a piece of more simple design.  Cranberry, as a colour, was typical of much C19 work, so I don't think there is much mileage there re attribution.      Ivo, why is it expected to have a tiny broken pontil, please? - and an obvious question, what degree of wear is there.       Sorry if this is a little amateurish, but you never know, might be an atom of use in there somewhere, and as I say it does help me. ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
Fascinating - especially as we were staying close by Norton Park last week! The only piece I can find is in "Scotland's Glass" - and what a fine book it is - and I even handled one of those pieces. It was quite fine - but not like the one at issue.

As for tiny broken pontil, I know that this very fine work is done on a tiny pontil rod, more a knitting needle than a yardstick - and that therefore the broken pontil is very slight as well. It is so discreet that it does not require grinding or polishing.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
The piece of Jenkinson fenicio I have (it's also pictured in Scotland's Glass) has a pontil mark that is significantly bigger than a needle mark. I'd stick with Murano.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »
Thanks Paul i believe it was Jenkinson , the trouble is i have a wardrobe full of glass books to look thru ...!not many clothes . I am not saying this piece is Scottish but knew it would arouse an interesting thread .jp

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
jp - hope you didn't take too much umbrage at my jumping in before you, just that it gave me a chance to rifle the books and learn a bit more.    Knowing very little about this type of glass, I do however, get the impression that because almost every European country produced material like this    -   then seems to me could be very difficult to come up with an accurate attribution, unles of course you find the exact illustration somewhere  -  as Anita has already commented. :)    Meant to say that in looking throught my few books it struck me as noticeably that I could see almost nothing of C20 pieces in this style.    Have I missed them somewhere?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand