No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latticino from Saint-Louis or Murano?  (Read 5085 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Latticino from Saint-Louis or Murano?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »
No Paul i was more than pleased because you may have noticed i am getting lazy in old age , i just love it when people take it up and expand it,  thats the great thing about this forum and all the wonderful people and we all learn so much . thanks again jp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »
A puzzler on the vase is the foot, or lack of one, I should say. I searched a little last night for old Murano vases with this type of bottom and found only one. It was by a company, Ferro & Figlio, that I doubt did Ivo's vase. I've not seen latticino of this form done by them. The bottom of the vase is not typical of Murano, but may be found. Your vase is a puzzler, Ivo. My thoughts on its age have gone back further after looking at pictures of old pieces last night.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
Thank you for looking into it - I agree it is not an easy subject. Latticino, Mezza-filigrana and Zanfirico to start with - what is the proper usage? Then time and location - how to distinguish between antique Venetian and more recent work? It seems that in the 19th century this style was made in many countries - including the UK, Belgium, France, Spain and no doubt other countries as well. Time someone did a book on it....

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Ivo, my knowledge on this is limited to zero, but I found a great list of photos  and wondered whether you'd seen them (apologies as you probably already have seen them and have many more resources at your fingertips than I) - the book I think is La Cristallerie de Clichy: Une prestigieuse manufacture de XIXC siecle.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
Yes I did follow the discussion and added Clichy as an alternative - but I meanwhile found out that very similar work (including the pink edge!) was also produced in Belgium - so keeping my options open.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
these are not the same but reminded me of the intricacy of your piece
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unforth/3277669304/in/photostream/
apparently 'possibly Low Countries, Liege or Antwerp'
m

p.s. there are some beautiful pics to flick through on that link as well.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
wonderful pictures - thank you.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »
How about Spanish?
In Glass by George Savage 1972 edition page 70, there is a Cantaro 'with latticino decoration in the Venetian manner. Spain. Eighteenth century'.  The foot has the spirit of your vase and whilst the latticino is in strips separated by clear glass, it seems to be the same as yours.  Would the red rim preclude Spain?
Can photograph and send a pic on email if you wish.

Bacchus used a red rim trail c 1850 as well, but that's as far as I 've got...no idea if they would have made something like this or used latticino or filigrana
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »
the piece in the book is a combination in shape of some of these pieces, but the latticino is like yours.  The foot is very similar to the one on the very left of this link, which reminded me of your vase - which is why I was wondering if Spain may be an option.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unforth/3277667334/in/photostream/
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
I thought you might like to see this piece from the Wallace collection (if you haven't already) - it's a very early piece c16th.  The tight knit effect of the latticino and the shape of the vase has some similarities with yours so I thought you'd find it interesting -  but the foot is very different and the latticino close up is completely different although superficially it has similarities - you can click on the picture and it enlarges so one can see how the latticino is done - amazing detail.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Venezia%2C_fiasca_da_pellegrino_con_vetro_a_retorti%2C_1550-1600_ca..JPG
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand