No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber/Gold knobbly vase  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Kez

• Members
Re: Amber/Gold knobbly vase
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
I have added two more photos to try to help with ID. The blue and streaky green are W/F pattern no. 9612, Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
I respect Emmis opinion on this , she is one of the W/Fs people that usually get it right , some of them like playing with colours so you can be deceived .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Seeing the photo with the other two 9612's I can see how similar it is.  I stand by my previous comments, but also would keep an open mind.  I suppose there is a possibility it could be a "frigger", but it would not be a FLC Gold one as the colour is certainly "off".  LOL!  I AM at last learning that sometimes things are not so cut and dried!! :spls2: AND it would be surprising  to me, if Whitefriars made this in this Amberish colour, as Amber was out of their colour range for a few years, before the introduction of the Knobbly range.

However, I did purchase a long time ago something like yours Kez, almost same shape and certainly similar colour, which turned out to be Czech, unfortunately I didn't keep the data on it (another lesson learned!)

Perhaps you could bring it to the Cambridge Glass Fair in September for a few other  people to take a look - nothing beats a hands on assessment!

Offline Kez

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
Hi Emmi, strange isn't it. Can I ask what a 'frigger' is please. Also I have posted another knobbly vase on w/f isit ,if you wouldn't mind having a look at some point. I am planning to go to the glass fair, hopefully, so I will bring it along if I do. Kez

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
A frigger ( in glass terms- completely different on Wikipedia!) is an item made by one of the glass workers in his own time based on,  but usually not exactly, on one of the production items.  There are a few "friggers" of knobblies on my blog, so you can see what I mean there.  I am sure someone else has a more technical explanation of a frigger, so all other descriptions welcome!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
try here also  -  very interesting

http://www.glassyeye.com/glasstopics/friggers.html

Paul S.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Thanks Paul, and this paragraph apparently applied very much to the Whitefriars workers, so I am told..........

In reality, however, most friggers were probably made by the glassblowers to sell off down the pub at the end of the shift to subsidise their wages!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
thanks  -  I remembered having seen this information earlier and just thought it might have been of interest.    I wouldn't doubt you for a moment regarding the 'reality' of things - like all poorly paid working class artisans they needed all the help they could get.    I showed a swan frigger some 6 months or so ago  -  stacks of wear/age - and I seem to remember Lustrousstone commenting that she thought it might have been a wfrs. frigger  -- unfortuntely, no one else thought the same ;D   As always, thanks for your expert help.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
In reality, however, most friggers were probably made by the glassblowers to sell off down the pub at the end of the shift to subsidise their wages!

To get the 'Old glass' effect the gather was rolled in the factory floor dust.   Georgian rummers were great sellers !.

Regards,
               Patrick.

Offline Kez

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi Emmi , just a thank you again for yourself, Julian, Patrick and many others who took the time to look at the two knobblies I brought along to the Cambridge glass fair. I am pleased that they have now been confirmed to be Whitefriars, even though the shapes are ' unusual ' . With thanks Kez .

http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Recordset4=32&ID=8671

http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Recordset4=32&ID=8673

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand