No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Owl id please  (Read 1335 times)

Offline uraniumsteve

• Members
Owl id please
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »
Hello not sure if this is in the right place. I am wondering if anyone can confirm this is a sommerso (I think that's how you spell it) item or not. I feel it may be but cannot find one on line. The only reason I suspect this is its very similar to other pieces he has done
Thanks Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Owl id please
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »

Hi.

I think 'sommerso' is a technique, not a person or factory. It means 'submerged', and refers to encasing the coloured design layer(s) in clear glass on both sides. Your piece may well be made by that technique, and is cleary made at one of the Murano factories. Other may be able to suggest which factory.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uraniumsteve

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »
Thanks for that Alan it must be plainly obvious I am new to this.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
Sommerso it is not - this involves 2 or more colours of glass. Your owl is clear cased with gold foil - which is an expensive technique.
Check http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/birds-3 for suggestions re perpetrators. :thup:

Offline uraniumsteve

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »
Thanks Ivo

Offline uraniumsteve

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
I made a mistake and meant to say Archimede seguso.It is very similar to others he has done although I am unable to find this piece yet. I think I may be wrong though as the label seems to be generic but their is no harm in looking

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand