No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Forgery or authentic - ID = Murano, not Clichy  (Read 5183 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Forgery or authentic - ID = Murano, not Clichy
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
Hi found this paperweight in among a job lot from an auction and thought it was too good to be true. Its a lovely paperweight with a millifiore pattern. It is marked CLICHY on the base and it has been etched or acid marked if that is the right terminology. It is 3 inches dia x 2.5 inches high and weighs 559 gr. The millifiori pattern sits on a base of gold coloured material. The base is flat and polished . I am not sure re the authenticity even though the base is signed.
Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
Re: Forgery or authentic
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »
Not Clichy, I'm afraid .. The hand-etched naming is rather mischievous!  It's from Murano, mid-late C20th.  More knowledgeable members will be able to give you more specific attribution.
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
Many thanks for the reply

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:23:05 PM »
It's definately a Murano piece.

Clichy did not sign their paperweights with script, they did sometimes include signature canes, a single "C" and on rarer occtions the word "CLICHY" spelled out.
The same goes for most antique paperweights as far as I know, no script signatures.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Many thanks to everyone, just had a feeling re the paperweight was not what it seemed, anyway i now own a mid century Murano piece.
Thanks again

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
Morning malcmat- win some loose some-  I appear to own it's brother- these are very nice weights and collectable in their own right. This magnum sized weight came with a round red and gold label-Murano  Made in Italy- possible Fratelli Toso, but as petern00 said mid century. Isn't it great when you listen to that little voice inside  that points you in the right direction- little voices are ok so long as you don't start having conversations with them out loud!!!! regards from a very damp New Zealand
Carolglass

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

I listen to my little voices too.

* To begin, they say 'It's rare! It's valuable! No one else has spotted it!'......

* Then they say 'Just one more bid! It's got to be worth it!'.....

* Finally they say 'You fool! Why ever did you pay so much for it? You knew it was nothing special!'......

Am I alone is hearing these voices?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »
Hi Carolglass / Alan / and other members, many thanks for your comments re murano weight. Its great when that voice says you  must bid again, again and again lol. but on a sane note its what we find at the bottom of a large amount of bits and pieces that i find the most pleasure in. One might only spot one item in a job lot but it certainly gets the heart racing especially if you want to pay a Little less attention to the items / box when the people around you know you collect glass and are willing to go a little shilling further lol. But hey thats what its all about having a good time at an auction and not being too serious about the outcome.
Again many thanks to all concerned and the comments and a good night from chilly Cheshire

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Forgery or authentic - ID = Murano, not Clichy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:06:50 AM »
Hmm, I think I've seen that one or its twin in the flesh on Earlestown market. The then owner was asking £200 ish for his "Clitchy" and wasn't overly impressed when I tried to disillusion him. It is very pretty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand