No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does this look familiar? ID = Paul Ysart  (Read 3963 times)

Offline mcc

• Members
Does this look familiar? ID = Paul Ysart
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
Hello,

This paperweight was recently passed down to me.  I know little, if anything, about paperweights but I fell in love w/ this stunning piece.

It has 6 oval faceted sides and measures about 7.5 cm across and 6 cm tall.  Under magnification, on the base, there could be what looks like the letter(s) A V or A M or just an A or just an M.  On the otherhand, these could be scuff or scratchmarks- it's hard to tell.

My grandfather of Scottish decent obtained this. Might this be of Scottish origin?  I'd appreciate any input on it's identity.

Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Does this look familiar? Help w/ ID appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
Hi, welcome to the Board.

This paperweight is indeed of Scottish origin. It was made by Paul Ysart and I suspect it was made in the mid-1930s at the Moncrieff factory, when the Ysart family were producing Monart art glass and Paul was beginning to create many paperweight designs. However, the faceting is unusual for a 1930s PY weight, but may be original as faceting was certainly used on his early overlay weights (otherwise no interior parts could have been seen) and so could have been used on some regular weights as well.

If you ever think of passing it on - let me know ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Does this look familiar? ID = Paul Ysart
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
That is seriously nice . jp :hiclp: :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mcc

• Members
Re: Does this look familiar? ID = Paul Ysart
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »
Thank you for the ID.  Out of a small paperweight collection that was within the family, that particular weight always attracted my eye.  It's nice knowing that I own an original.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand