No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Vaseline Lamps  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:08:30 PM »
Hi group,

I just purchased a pair of fabulous vaseline lamps. As you can hopefully see in the photos, they are made of five heavy, thick parts, the larger three of which have blown out sections which are frosted inside. They are slightly more yellow than they appear in my photos (the flash made them flouresce a bit).

The sellers thought they were Italian, but given the style, I have some doubts (although they could be).  The shape looks kinda art deco or even streamline modern to me, so I'm thinking 1930s - '50s.  The hardware (with the exception of the bulb holders, which are new), appears well made and possibly not American. The top telescopes up and down, and the very top swivels as well.  Does anyone have any idea as to age, country of origin or maker?

I know I'm biased, but I think they're the cat's meow!

Thanks!

(photos:

Mod: The images from this thread have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:13:47 PM »

I have to agree with you!  :shock:  :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
Wow Laura
Stunning bold modernist forms and something very interesting going on, on the inside, what's happening there ...frosted ?
I'm thinking Czech ........ but just a hunch and I have no more detail to offer. Maybe Marcus or Ivo will.
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
I would sooner think Belgian or French Deco than Italian or Czech; stylewise I think you're right in the 30s, definitely not 70s - they look more Metropolis than Starsky&Hutch 8)  Don't you wish someone would know these things?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 06:00:31 PM »
Laura.  Those are to DIE for!  Absolutely stunning!  They're so 'of the moment' too!

If I had more money to splash around, I'd be asking you to sell them to me.  I LOVE them!
I am not a man

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the "oogles" as well as the suggestions.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep or sell them, as they are looking very stylish on my messy desk.  

I would love to know if "Mr. Vaselineglass" has ever seen them before.

Also, does anyone know where I can find vaseline finials that might match? These have cheesy new finials that I hate.

Thanks!

Laura

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Help with Vaseline Lamps
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:44:06 AM »
Sorry
I have never seen anything like it before.  They sure are different!
Mr. Vaseline Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand