No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for pale straw pre '40 bowl.  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for pale straw pre '40 bowl.
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:38:42 PM »
Have to admit I was harbouring thoughts of a well known maker for this piece - but think it will remain just a thought, and I'm taking a risk, but feel the origin is the U.K., so here goes.    Very pale straw colour, 230mm dia., and about 115mm high - with ground and polished pontil scar, and lot of wear on the underside of the circular foot.   What is noticeable is the six sided mould impression on the foot (which can be seen from the top also), although this is optical moulding only (in reality it is circular).   Does this quite obvious feature indicate a particular maker, or was this quite a common effect on the feet of bowls in general.   Bearing in mind the wear, I would hazzard a guess at certainly pre second war, and possibly back to the 1930's.  It rings beautifully for a long time, and it goes without saying of course that it is un-marked.      Would be very appreciative of anyone's thoughts, and as always thanks for looking.    Yours sincerely, Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: id request for pale straw pre '40 bowl.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
Would that well known maker be Stuart maybe?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »
thanks Keith  -  no, Stuart wasn't my first thought if fact.    You know me ;D - I had wfrs. or Webb in mind.    But of course you could very well be right.    thanks for looking.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »
Tried to look on Nigel's site but it's having a 'makeover',he may have an idea,well finished bowl,can't say I've seen any Webb's in that colour there are some early Powell pieces in that shade of pale green,page 98 of Jackson's WF's.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
The colour/design is quite reminiscent of some of the Swedish factories' output of the 1920s-40s. Kosta and Stromberg are the first that spring to mind.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
thanks for your suggestions/ideas.    I will try a contact local to myself who may well have books which might help.   

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Paul,

The Library maybe  ;D ;D

This colour should not be referred to as anything to do with 'Straw', rather it is generally known as Old Amber these days - previously has been referred to as Burnt Amber. It, or something very similar was used by Powell/Whitefriars, Webbs, and Stevens & Williams, but these bowls could just as easily be from Sandvik, since I believe they also used it. I would certainly discount Powell/Whitefriars as a possibility.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
streuth, I haven't borrowed a book from a library in years - although I do in fact have a valid ticket.   think I have more books in the house than the local library  -  I now only go to the library in a dirty old mac. to read the newspapers ;D.
In fact bit of a disappointment this evening  -  my comments about a local contact concerned Raymond Slack (he of the best book on pressed glass).    Phoned him earlier tonight only to discover that his entire collection of books has now gone off to a dealer to be catalogued for sale, so thats blown my chances of searching re this bowl and looking at the Schiffer book on Corning Pyrex Nos.   I'll have to take a day off work and hassle the guys at the V. & A. perhaps.
Note your comments Nigel re description of colour  -  and disappointed it isn't wfrs.   I hesitated at the boot sale, and nearly didn't buy it but took a chance, thinking maybe ..............

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand