No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: crackle/ice/frosted water jug for id please.  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
crackle/ice/frosted water jug for id please.
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
wading a little further into the Bank Holiday's acquisitions, I was pleased with this piece which I would suggest is a water jug  -  about 180mm tall.
The novel idea of creating glass that appears cracked/fissured came to us, apparently, from the Venetians, and in the C19 was known variously as 'frosted/ice/crackle glass' (in the States called 'overshot glass', apparently).    There is, however, a noticeable difference I understand, between C19 'frosted glass' (i.e. Apsley Pellatt's Old Venetian Frosted Glass), and the much later 1950/1960 examples (Blenko crackle glass for example).   In the earlier examples like the piece shown here, there really are open fizzures on the surface, as can be seen in the final picture  -  but the much more recent examples have only the visual effect of internal cracks, so I'm guessing this jug is quite likely late C19 in date.    Obviously mould blown, but an intriguing shape, and with a very simple strap handle, which in effect doesn't exceed the overall outline of the jug.   Anyone take a punt at why this odd shape??    Ground and polished pontil scar, and remarkably no real cracks (forgive the pun ;D).   Appears unmarked.    If anyone has any ideas, please do share them with me, and thanks for looking.
References:   'An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass' - Harold Newman - 1977
                   '20th Century Glass' Collectors Guide - Judith Miller/Frankie Leibe/Mark Hill - 2004
                   'British Glass' 1800 - 1914' - Charles R. Hajdamach - 1991.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: crackle/ice/frosted water jug for id please.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
sorry, forgot to add that there are several quite large stones' in the body -  those pale coloured stones that I seem to recall are found more commonly in C19 glass.   Certainly  more inclusions than I would have thought you could get away with in a straightforward clear body.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
Here is some additional information:

Alfredo's site

Your piece is slightly different from these discussed on Al's site and also the other thread. Your piece does not have the hollow handle and it may be impossible to determine the maker of your jug.

Hope this helps.

Craig

P.S. This is crackle and would be called so in the US. Overshot is the process of applying frit to the surface of a resulting in a "sandpaper" like finish.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
this is just to thank Ivo and Craig for their help.    Regretablly, it is too late in the evening for me to digest all of the attached information, so I will come back to this tomorrow (I notice that many of the images have by now disappeared anyway, unfortunately).    Note your comment Craig that mine has the strap handle - not hollow - so may be more difficult to attribute.  But it does have a ground and polished pontil, so there is some quality present.    Anyway, it all looks a minefield, so thanks again, and I will digest tomorrow.   Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand