No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Enamelled white and blue vase, czech perhaps?  (Read 595 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Enamelled white and blue vase, czech perhaps?
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
The seller thought it was most likely czech based on experience (it's from another collector), but couldn't say much more about it than that. It has a nice 'space age' look to it, quite fun, only the blue bits are clear see through. Reminds me of the 50s-60s and astronaut helmets (I'm quite the science romantic :) ). Has anyone come across similar pieces, enough to confidently say it's czech, or to point to certain factories or time periods?

Blue glass throughout, with an opaque white layer that is not further encased (am I right to put this as enamelled, or is it a different technique?). Don't see any pontil marks or polishing, so I'm guess the blue glass was pressed before layering?

It's 17.8 cm high, 4.6 cm wide at the rim, and 5.2 cm at the base.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Enamelled white and blue vase, czech perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
It's mould blown not pressed; you'd never get a plunger out. Can we see the top rim please

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
Sure, thanks for having a look. A view at the rim:

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
The white is enamelled on (i.e., painted on then usually fired), not cased; you can see where it's wearing off.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 05:42:54 AM »
I finally found something very similar on German ebay, with an Alfred Taube label. The shape of the vase is slightly different, but the technique of white non-fired enamel and blue beneath in a 'band' style is the same (and they're not very common, as this is the first one in that style I've seen in over 2 years). I think it should be enough for a match.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Glasvase-Alfred-TAUBE-VOHENSTRAUSS-Dunkelblau-Weis-gestreift-selten-RAR-/200804825257?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item2ec0e678a9

Astrid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand