No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Schmetterling!  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »
I was very pleased when this young lady arrived at my house this morning!  :shock:  :D http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1340

I was delighted to get her, even with this small amount of damage - which husband has repaired

Does anyone happen to know how many different colours Schmetterling was produced in?  I have only ever seen pink, green and amber.  Did they make a blue one?  Does anyone have an example?  Or even a picture?   :shock:
Leni

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:38:31 PM »
She's beautiful Leni :P   There's something really magical about these vases.
Anne E.B

Offline B & M

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:43:14 PM »
Lovely vase Leni. As regards colours, they certainly made them in blue. I have a blue one but it's stored at my parent's house up in Cumbria at the moment so no chance of a photo for a few weeks..........

Steven  :)

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »
Quote from: "B & M"
Lovely vase Leni. As regards colours, they certainly made them in blue. I have a blue one but it's stored at my parent's house up in Cumbria at the moment so no chance of a photo for a few weeks..........

Thank you Steven!  I'd love to see it in blue when you get the chance    :D

The seller sent the flake which had broken off, very carefully wrapped.  Husband stuck it back on with the special glass glue which needs UV to 'cure' it.  Good job we had a bit of sun this morning!    :D
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 07:09:49 PM »
Quote from: "B & M"
I have a blue one but it's stored at my parent's house up in Cumbria at the moment so no chance of a photo for a few weeks..........

Frank's work on revisiting old messages made me think about this  :shock:

Steven, any chance of a picture of your blue Schmetterling yet?   :D
Leni

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:42:54 PM »
Leni, please, just for my investigations: am I right you've got an amber - is it both blank and frosted?
your green is frosted all over I presume - like mine?
looking at my Schmetterling vase should make it clear: if frosted all over - it is sixties production - if not ... could be earlier!?  :oops:  :?  :twisted:

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/00851.html
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »
Yes, both my amber and green Schmetterlings are frosted all over, Pamela     :D
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »
Quote from: "pamela"
if frosted all over - it is sixties production

Do I presume that also applies to other Walther glass - that all-over frosted is later production?  Only I was amazed to see a Walther Windsor vase on ebay a couple of days ago sold for £176.51    :shock:  That was an all-over- frosted one, too.  AND it had a chip on the base!   :shock:

I was interested in it, but wasn't prepared to go that high!  Anyway, I like the Schmetterling better   :D  

All I need now is a pink one and a blue one ........ unless of course you know better   :wink:  :lol:
Leni

Offline B & M

• Members
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:50:02 PM »
Hello again Leni, sorry no picture as yet of the blue vase. We moved house last month and with all the disruption didn't have enough time to travel back up to Cumbria. It's also been a long and torturous process getting BT to activate the phone line & transfer my broadband service, hence why I have been very quiet lately  :wink:

Pamela, it's interesting to learn that the all over frosting is a sign of later production for Walther. My vase is frosted all over (including the interior). The effect seems to have been achieved by sand blasting rather than the use of acid; does this mean that Walther didn't sand blast until the 1960's?

I should get a picture towards the end of next month. I will be going back for my father's birthday and to rotate some of my collection. My problem is that I never have enough display space so have to select just a few items. It's certainly time for a change though so I think the Schmetterling will be coming back with me.....

In the meantime, here's a nice part frosted blue example I spotted on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6630039201

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Another Schmetterling!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:31:59 PM »
I have satin (frosted) effect items, sourced in the UK, that I can only see in 1930s catalogues from Walther - they are a Marina centerpiece and a Nuremberg (Tango) basket.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand