Author Topic: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.  (Read 1180 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beaker vase.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Strictly speaking, I think the use of 'beaker' should be changed to beak, otherwise it implies tumbler, or bucket form, rather than a pulled-out (beak) rim  Thumb Up

Nigel

I agree, I nearly didn't look at this thread, as "beaker" style vases do not really interest me, but I am glad I did, what a lovely vase and if it hadn't had the mark on the base, I would not have guessed it was made by Webb.  Well,  never too late to learn!!  LOL!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Great piece Paul,never seen one of those before,makes this look a little inadequate :-[ ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
to Messrs. Smith and Benson  -  your are of course perfectly correct  -  and the moment I had made the original post, I though 'what a plonker', fancy calling it 'beaker' :-[     However, due to memory lapse and being at work, I didn't make the effort to correct my error.  My apologies Emmi,  I nearly didn't look at this thread, as "beaker" style vases do not really interest me  -  and here was me thinking you 'hung upon my every post' ;D   I think, in truth that I still have that repro low countries 'beaker' mistake on my mind from some month or two back. urggghhhhh.
Must admit it surprised me at the boot sale when I turned it upside down and saw the backstamp (but even more shock when the guy only wanted £3. for it).
Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your blue and green examples David, if you have the time :), and thanks for the help.
Keith  -  you just aint got the same class mate - you should come to my boot sales some day ;D.    However, I think you know a bit more than I do, so am I correct in saying 'match striker'?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
Hello Paul,doubt I know more,I mentioned Powell on one of your other posts and got shot down,again.I thought it was a match striker but when I posted it there was some debate as to whether it was a candleholder(far too nice for that IMHO) Would love to get to a good 'boot sale' Surrey is a bit far on the bus,poor person that I am :cry: :24:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
As requested, two photos on the five Webb's Flair items I have. To give anyone else who is unfamiliar with the size of these blinkin' things, the large blue vase is 33.5cm (13¼in) and weighs 2.27kg (~ 5lbs), and the red bowl is even larger at 35cm (13¾in) and 2.77kg (~ 6lbs)!

David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
thanks for remembering David  -  they look very desireable, especially the large bowl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.   As you say, these pieces can be very heavy, and sometimes I go to bed wondering whether I have overcooked the weight on some of my glass shelves - if you look sideways you can actually see the glas bowing slightly :-[.   As you are on record as commenting, Webbs pieces are still under-collected (and under-valued) - and looking at your pieces here it is easy to see that they make a colourful and attractive collection, for probably not too much outlay.    I think in fact they are way under-priced and can only but go up in value.     Paul S.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com