No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.  (Read 3113 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beaker vase.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Strictly speaking, I think the use of 'beaker' should be changed to beak, otherwise it implies tumbler, or bucket form, rather than a pulled-out (beak) rim  Thumb Up

Nigel

I agree, I nearly didn't look at this thread, as "beaker" style vases do not really interest me, but I am glad I did, what a lovely vase and if it hadn't had the mark on the base, I would not have guessed it was made by Webb.  Well,  never too late to learn!!  LOL!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Great piece Paul,never seen one of those before,makes this look a little inadequate :-[ ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
to Messrs. Smith and Benson  -  your are of course perfectly correct  -  and the moment I had made the original post, I though 'what a plonker', fancy calling it 'beaker' :-[     However, due to memory lapse and being at work, I didn't make the effort to correct my error.  My apologies Emmi,  I nearly didn't look at this thread, as "beaker" style vases do not really interest me  -  and here was me thinking you 'hung upon my every post' ;D   I think, in truth that I still have that repro low countries 'beaker' mistake on my mind from some month or two back. urggghhhhh.
Must admit it surprised me at the boot sale when I turned it upside down and saw the backstamp (but even more shock when the guy only wanted £3. for it).
Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your blue and green examples David, if you have the time :), and thanks for the help.
Keith  -  you just aint got the same class mate - you should come to my boot sales some day ;D.    However, I think you know a bit more than I do, so am I correct in saying 'match striker'?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
Hello Paul,doubt I know more,I mentioned Powell on one of your other posts and got shot down,again.I thought it was a match striker but when I posted it there was some debate as to whether it was a candleholder(far too nice for that IMHO) Would love to get to a good 'boot sale' Surrey is a bit far on the bus,poor person that I am :cry: :24:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
As requested, two photos on the five Webb's Flair items I have. To give anyone else who is unfamiliar with the size of these blinkin' things, the large blue vase is 33.5cm (13¼in) and weighs 2.27kg (~ 5lbs), and the red bowl is even larger at 35cm (13¾in) and 2.77kg (~ 6lbs)!

David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: date request please for 'Webb' beak vase.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
thanks for remembering David  -  they look very desireable, especially the large bowl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.   As you say, these pieces can be very heavy, and sometimes I go to bed wondering whether I have overcooked the weight on some of my glass shelves - if you look sideways you can actually see the glas bowing slightly :-[.   As you are on record as commenting, Webbs pieces are still under-collected (and under-valued) - and looking at your pieces here it is easy to see that they make a colourful and attractive collection, for probably not too much outlay.    I think in fact they are way under-priced and can only but go up in value.     Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand