No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Northwood Diamond Point 'Squatty' Vase  (Read 2461 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Northwood Diamond Point 'Squatty' Vase
« on: November 30, 2005, 12:03:02 AM »
This is a ‘Diamond Point’ vase by Northwood. It is under 7” and one website says that these’ Squatty’ vases bring a higher premium, is that true. Also what colour is it, simple green?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/carngreen.jpg

It is one of a pair and both lean to one side; I have found this with early carnival a fair bit. Does this detract from value? I only paid £8.00 for two so it’s not an issue, mind you I can’t have them out with my borderline OCD

Adam P

Mod: The images from this thread were deleted when AOL (UK) shut down its blog site. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:37:53 AM »
Squatty vases (slightly swung) are often more desirable. There are possibly a few reasons for that. The pattern tends to be more pronounced, and they are a little scarcer than the fully swung ones. They also look good in a display with taller vases in the same pattern.

The colour appears to be (regular) green. The tilt is not uncommon of course, and rather a lot of Carnival vases do tend to lean a bit to one side. Would that affect the value? Possibly a little.

Far more important (as regards its effect on value) is the quality of the iridescence. A sizzling iridescent cracker (my own choice of words.... :D) is always going to bring top dollar. On the other hand, a somewhat lack-lustre iridescence will not be as sought after.

You got them at a very good price - congratulations. It's also interesting that you found a pair of them. That's often the way things are found in the UK - especially with items that would display either side of the mantelpiece!

If you turn the vase round just a little...keep inching it round...you may find a position where the tilt is not apparent. Perhaps you could display them like that - not quite so irritating.

I love the quirkiness of Classic Carnival. That's part of its charm for me.

I hope this has answered your question, Adam P.

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:16:50 PM »
It has answered my questions

Thanks Glen, as always generous with your expert opinion. They do swing around so they look straighter - thing is there is no room on my mantelpiece LOL.

The iridescence on these is very good, the interior especially sparkles a peacock range of colours with emphasis on purples

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »
You're welcome Adam. Sorry to hear that you have no room on the mantelpiece - but I know the feeling. I've just spent an hour trying to re-arrange a section of the glass display after cleaning. Too much glass - too little time  :shock:

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand