No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with half label ...UCTA?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Vase with half label ...UCTA?
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:49:46 PM »
Hi

Here is a Vase / Candle Holder I bought recently with a semi translucent red outer and white inner layer – 5” high, 500g weight
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/ucta.jpg

I bought it as it has half a label and I hope someone can ID from this
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/ucta%20label.jpg

I get …UCTA 1st line
… Made Glass 2nd line
….Origin 3rd line (I think that is an 'H' before Origin for Swedish, or Danish, or Finnish LOL)

Any ideas please post

Also still no real proof that this vase from a previous thread is by Per Olaf Strom for Alsterfors, this or Michael Bang for Holmegaard was suggested. I take the opportunity now as is so like above item
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/bang%201.jpg

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:09:46 PM »
Partly to bring this thread up a bit and for comparison with the above two items. Here is a labelled piece of Alsterfors by P. O. Strom.

The layering (my white vase has a white and clear glass layering, the other white with a red outer) are similar, and this piece of Strom show he created hoops then cylindrical sections similar to Holmegaard.

I really would love even an attempt at an ID for these pieces, especially the one with half label. I get it down to one of three factories?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:24:51 PM »
Hi Adam P,
I take it you did see Ivo's Portieux post? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2865.0.html
These vases are endemic/generic/epidemic/pandemic, and the fact that the label gives an xh origin, I respectfully suggest is an indication of an importers label, rather than manufacturer.
regards,
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:40:19 PM »
Agreed Marcus.

I have not seen Ivo's Portieux post

I have just had a look and the Portieux glass looks thinner than on my two items, the layer casing is 4.5cm thick and ground and polished down on mine, I have had these thin glass copies many times I think.

I still have photos to match up.

I don't see a label just the vases, but I have not ruled out that the paper label on my red piece is an importer label like G Hardy (see the age ware) it may have been put on along with the makers label, even if not the glass is well made and I think 1960s / 70s and by a small if not fantastic company

Importer label as guessed below for the red piece

Blank Producta
Hand Made Glass
Of Swedish Origin                                            

Adam P

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand