No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Borske Sklo white cased red vase with cut and enamelled design - ???  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Borske Sklo white cased red vase with cut and enamelled design - ???
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
Hi Jindrich!

Mark Hill, in this post http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33918.0.html, said

An auction house in Germany attributed the design to Libensky, the cutting to Honzik, and the enamelling/gilt to Lebeda. I can't find any other link to these names, and sadly never received a reply to my email, but perhaps Jindrich can find out more? If these attributions were correct, most particularly with Libensky, this would make this range extremely important.

In the course of researching Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, I asked Karel Wunsch if he designed them. He replied saying he did not, but thought Lebeda produced the enamelled/gilded designs. If I recall rightly without referring to my notes, the incredible and erudite Dan Klein also agreed with the Lebeda connection. Jindrich may know more, but apparently Lebeda was a slightly subversive 'underground' cartoonist and artist outside his day job.

I'm very pleased to have spotted this piece...  Although the vase has not got any chips or cracks, some of the designs (especially the ones in gold) are slightly worn.  But it's still a great find, if I do say so myself.  ;D

Anik

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
Oh, well done Anik - you must be thrilled... and :dance:ing for joy!!!! :thup: cheers steph.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »
Hi Steph...  I am indeed very pleased  :D  (But not exactly dancing...  can't dance or feel rhythm for the life of me  :pb:)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »
Well done Anik R.....a pat on the back to you, all the way from here  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
We spoke about it with Mark on his last visit in Prague. The task is now to find who was actually Mr. Lebeda....

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
WELL DONE Anik.

As everyone says, it is indeed from that range. From memory, I also think that particular shape may be shown in Czechoslovak Glass Review -- considering what it is, it's worth a look if you can get to a library that stocks it. You'll enjoy it. Bear in mind they were distributed in a number of countries, and translated into each country's language. You should find the photograph (also 'from memory') in the special supplement published for the exhibition in 1958.

As Jindrich says, the task is now to find out more about Mr Lebeda - and find out who the main designer was, unless Lebeda also designed the forms, colours and cuts....

When I went to Prague and met the wonderful Jindrich, we also discussed how rare this range actually is. It's clear that I think it's rarer than Jindrich does! He'd know better as he is actually there and sees so much and talks to so many people. However, I still haven't seen more than a very few myself so, at risk of being shouted down, I still class them as 'rare'. Let's see how many turn up over the next few years, but I really do doubt there'll be too many.

I'll also post a picture of a unique cut piece I stumbled across in a random antique shop in Prague. Jindrich has seen it. I think it's a stonker, but I just need to get a professional picture done, as it's not at all easy for a rank amateur like me to capture properly.

Well done again,
Best,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
THANK YOU!  Thank you a million times  ;D

I'll try to get a look at the Czechoslovak Glass Review, as you have suggested.  This is very exciting (at least it is for me)!

All the best!!!
Anik

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
 :dance: Fabulous Anik, I'm chuffed to bits for you!  :hug:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
Thank you, Anne!  (Thank you for the kind words, and thank you again for drawing Mark Hill's attention to my vase!)

:kissy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand