No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moncrieff paperweight- early or late??  (Read 1518 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Moncrieff paperweight- early or late??
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
Greetings, just taken delivery of this blue beauty. It has a diameter of 8.25cm and a height of 5.5cm with a slightly concave fire polished base. Attached is a Moncrieff part label, paper with gold and black printing- 2.75cm diameter. Is this a G2 1947 era label? I have looked on the wonderful  Scotland's Glass and Kev H's sites and have confused myself- easy to do in winter I might add. Any comments welcome as to age. More than happy to post more photos if required.
 regards Carol
Carolglass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: Moncrieff paperweight- early or late??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:42:03 AM »
Hi, Carol!  While I can't help with the details of your very nice weight, I can tell you how much I like it!!!  Look forward to hearing from the ones-in-the-know.

Enjoy ..... Lily :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:53:04 AM »
I am almost jealous!! Star pattern weights from Paul Ysart are not so common as many other designs and it is interesting to see the variations of Star setups that Paul made.

The dating of that style of label can only be determined by the order of the item coding details (shape, size, colour). If there is no coding detail, which is the case for most Monart labels on paperweights, then it is not possible to say if it is pre- or post-war. In fact, for paperweights, even if there is coding detail on the label, it is in the form "P/W No x", which is also of no help in dating as pre- or post-war.

From the look of the weight itself, my initial thought is that it is 1930s period, but without handling it and seeing the clarity of the dome, amongst other things, it could just as easily be late 1940s, 1950s or very early 1960s.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
Thank you KevH for your informed reply, I have taken another photo of the weight to show the dome. The casing itself appears to me to have a slight grey cast to it, the ground is a lovely Prussian blue and weight wise pretty hefty but no scales. Lily - I am still drooling and looking at it with my magnifying glass. Thank you for your kind comments. regards Carol
Carolglass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand