No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for possible Scottish lamp base.
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
trying a little deductive reasoning here........first picture shows detail of a known Vasart/Strathearn bowl/vase with copper aventurine inclusions around the neck area plus the 'S' pattern swirling (all over flat base without a leaping fish/label/or any other marks) - 8 inches tall.   Acquired from a professional source.          Second picture of bluish lamp base - again shows aventurine inclusions - more or less 'S' pattern swirling - has extremely thick clear casing, with lamp type neck opening plus hole drilled as shown - mould blown, and with top ground/polished flat.   Base wear indicates possibility of age might be something like 35 - 60 years with, as to be expected, other wear evident around waist consistent with contact from other items over period of time - height 7.25 inches - source.....charity shop for a fiver.    I can only say that having looked in Jackson's Factory glass, it is a fact that the Perth factory produced lamps and lamp bases, which may well have included items with aventurine and 'S' type swirls.   Of course, it may well just be something from China recently  -  but as a bit of a novice I just thought that the similarity with aventurine and 'S' swirling looked really quite similar..............So, I'm looking please for an expert on Sottish please.  :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
I had meant to give the reference, should anyone want to look it up............
"20th Century Factory Glass" - Lesley Jackson - 2000......pp. 135/136

apolgies for omission.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
The first piece looks more Monarty to me - colours too vibrant for Vasart. I'm not sure it looks very Strathearn either........

To my (limited) knowledge, only Stuart Strathearn polished rims. It would help no end to actually see the whole thing of your second bit - shape can be important.

I don't know if Stuart Strathearn did lamps, but Strathearn did.

Also, in some recent years, Franco Toffolo has been spending some time with John Deacons and Willie Manson, playing with takes on the Tulip lamps in the "Scottish style" (as well as a load of other stuff). They are rather exuberant.
However, he has now retired from glass completely and is living in England somewhere.
(I just found that out yesterday, from the Strathearn Gallery in Crieff, where he was selling his work)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
thanks Sue  -  and you may well be correct with Monart  -  what I know about Scottish glass you could write on the back of a Scottish postage stamp.   My reason for saying Vasart/Strathearn was after having looked in Judith Miller's 20th Century Glass, where 'S' scrolls are attributed to Vasart - however, I see also that some Monart pieces appear to also have something similar.   I understand that Strathearn pieces sometimes have the leaping fish mark, so I thought maybe it wasn't that.    I seems to be a very difficult area for provenance/attribution, and I certainly wouldn't pretend to know anything about this material (other than the fact that much of it is very beautiful) :)
I have now attached more pictures of the blueish lamp base  -  and very much look forward to more contributions from you  -  as again, I know 'nuuuuthing' about this item other than there are some noticeable similarities with the first picture.   thanks for your help.    Paul S.
Reference:    20th Century Glass - Judith Miller/Frankie Leibe/Mark Hill  -  2004  ...p. 56

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
 :huh:

The bottom bit looks Scottish-ish, the top part does not. The polished rim really bothers me. And the shape is decidedly wrong. And it's far too thick.
I'd say not any of Monart, Vasart, Strathearn or Stuart Strathearn. It also doesn't look remotely right for Perthshire (which came out of Strathearn)

Peter Holmes who used to work at Strathearn now runs Border Art Glass, also continuing in this tradition, that may be a direction to look?

Have you trawled Frank's catalogues yet?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:19 AM »
I'd agree Peter Holmes is most likely

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
Peter Holmes who used to work at Strathearn ...
Are you sure about that, Sue?
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:35:23 AM »
my thanks to all of you -  and I did spend some time last evening looking at images on Frank's catalogues - and although I found the colour combination for the known piece i.e. "turquoise/green with the black/aventurine around the rim" - allocated to Monart (you were quite correct Sue), I must have somehow missed seeing the actual shape.   Will have to look again this evening.   

Re the Blue lamp base, I have not yet had the time to investigate the Peter Holmes direction - but will do so, unless you guys advise otherwise.     Again, my sincere thanks for the help.     Paul S.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
 :-[

Did a bit of searching and found somebody saying Peter Holmes left SELKIRK Glass to form BAG, Kev. Anybody know of any connection between Selkirk and the Monart/Vasart/Strathearn/Stuart Strathearn and Perthshire stream?

Sorry, I'm not quite "up" on the full details of Scottish stuff, my knowledge is sort of incidental.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
I may still be trying to miaow up a tree, (earlier on today, I bit the bull by the horns) but could the reason you didn't find the shape of the first thing in the catalogues be because it's a ginger jar without a lid?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand