Author Topic: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.  (Read 1825 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »
Sorry to do this again Sue :huh:

The reason that there is no leaping salmon is because the piece was blown into a mould for forming. Therefore there is no pontil mark, and no need to cover it with the leaping salmon impressed mark. The rim is the pontil as it were - and that is cut and finished, albeit unpolished.

The good news is that would happily concur with your brother's attribution :) :)

Nigel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
I just got a hurried, mid-sandwich email from him about the base, and only repeated what he said - he's hassled and horribly busy right now, his brain may have been awol, Nigel!
But we do remember answering a query a while ago about one of these in red. (well, I do, now I've been prompted ::) )

but it was the same shape and "finish" and it is definitely STRATHEARN.

(no matter about wonky wibble and base finishes and lack of any fish!)
whew!

And thanks, Nigel  :kissy: for correcting wonky wibble.

just located the link to the discussion on the red one.
(my brother is the Dr. Marshall)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27149.0.html
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
My sincere thanks to everyone who has helped me with information for this lamp base :) , and very reassuring to have multiple confirmations for Strathearn ID.   These pieces are more attractive in the flesh than the pics. reveal - especially with the copper aventurine inclusions, and I guess if used as a lamp would look quite striking with the light catching the colours.    Quite a coincidence that I should acquire a piece of Monart and Strathearn on the same day - all I now need is a piece marked Vasart  ;).   Just as a final question, what sort of date range might this be please.?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
1964 - 1971

EDIT: PS. Cor, I nearly missed an opportunity!! I've got a number of marked pieces of Vasart that you could cross my hand with siver for  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
having just bought threequarters of a green Monart ginger jar at auction, the only silver I have left is in my teeth ;D  but appreciate the offer Nigel, and thanks for the date line for the Strathearn.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »

:-[ :-[ :-[ I need to exonorate my brother - he did not say anything about the lack of fish.
I got myself in a total tangle trying to track down links after I got his cryptic mid-sandwich email (with a link that didn't work in it) and I must have attributed a remark I read by somebody else, somewhere else, to him. Sorry. :pb:
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
...Anybody know of any connection between Selkirk and the Monart/Vasart/Strathearn/Stuart Strathearn and Perthshire stream?

Peter Holmes trained with and assisted Paul Ysart at Caithness 1963-70
http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YGpeople.htm

He is probably one of the most prolific Ysart style makers and his glass tends to be very thick.

Green - could be a Ginger Jar but rim seems a little short. I'd say a shape A and it might have been originally sold as a lamp base with non-glass shade. There are some shape variations showing HERE

For confusion see http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page01_N.htm
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
thanks Frank - interesting reading the Peter Holmes and Paul Ysart link.       I have now measured the thickness of my lamp base - measured at the area of the drilled hole  -and have a reading of 11/12mm - which is quite substantial.        Regarding your thoughts on my green piece being a possible shape 'A'  -  would be good to think I wasn't in fact missing a lid :)  -  however, this  'should it have a lid or not'  question looks very difficult to assess, so I won't even try to go there.        Would however, just comment that looking at shapes 'Z' and 'JE' - with lids for example  -  it is noticeable that the 'shoulders' of these pieces are more flared out, so that when a lid sits in place the 'look' is more balanced.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com