No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.  (Read 4072 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
Paul,

Could you show us pics of the bases please? Oh, and what are you going to do with the amber vase????  ;) ;)

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
this shows the mistake of putting two items on the same post - very reprehensible - don't want this to now get out of hand, so must be careful we don't get confused.
Sue.......Been a bit busy elsewhere this evening, so only just seen your comments re ginger jar (the Monart piece), and you may well be correct, in which case I only have two thirds of what I thought I was getting. ;D   Another reason to know your subject before launching out on a purchase.
Tomorrow I will go back over Frank's catalogue pictures.
Nigel - my secret is out  -  were you bidding as well? - and did you know there may well have been a lid missing?  You should have told me ;D    When you say pics. of the bases, I have of course already shown a picture of the Monart base, (were you just viewing on line?)  -  In view of the time now  -  I will post a picture of the lamp base tomorrow, but can tell you however, that it is a mould blown base.    Whatever attribution the lamp base gets, I was so struck by the similarity of the 'S' scrolls on both pieces that I really though there was some sort of connection.    Having walked out of the auction and straight into the charity shop, I couldn't but be struck by the similarity.     But being a pessimist, by the time I got home I had almost convinced myself it was Chinese.    Ordinarily, something like this, in a charity shop, I would avoid - looks too clean and modern  -  but what convinced me to take a chance was the amount of base wear.    I have tried looking briefly re Peter Holmes, but nothing to report just yet.
Re the brown Wrythen - controlled bubble vase  - hadn't given it too much thought yet, and haven't yet posted, so no one will know what we are talking about.     No marks that I can see - possibly too dark for Webb, perhaps Stuart - would you like to confide your thoughts, or is the jury still out.     Thanks for looking, of course.     Paul S.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:35:15 AM »
Hi Paul,

No, I didn't bid on that lot, I meant to check it out, but had a quick dash down to see my Mum down in Devon over the weekend ....and forgot about popping in there :-[ Doh!!

For anyone else who hasn't already gathered, there was another vase, in amber, with the Monart green vase at the auction, so I thought I'd check we were talking about the same "professional source" by mentioning it.

'night all, Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:38 AM »
In fact, I hadn't shown the base of either :-[  -  so to put matters right, here they are, although being completely smooth and shiny the Monart base is difficult to photograph (apart from a feint crescent remnant of the pontil mark, which you might just be able to make out).

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
Hi,

For what it's worth I would say Monart vase - and a Strathearn lamp base. Certainly there is a colour way by Strathearn like that.

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »
thanks Nigel  -  appreciate your thoughts.   I am still investigating myself as well, and should I have some thoughts to share, will come back again.
Am hoping to post some pictures of the brown vase that you mentioned, hopefully tomorrow, and look forward to anyone's opinion.   thanks    Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
as a bit of a postscript - I telephoned Peter Holmes on Wednesday - explained the situation re the blue lamp base, and he very kindly offered to look at my pictures should I care to send them to him via email.     This I did - using JPG - although I understand from Peter that he was unable to download/view the images, and so progress was halted at that point.    He is obviously a busy professional worker and although I suggested he might view the same images on the GMB, this is presumably something he is unable to do.   However, I would like to record my thanks to him for offering to help, even though this did not reach a conclusion.    Paul S.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
Try shoving them on photobucket and emailing him the links?

- he'd just need to click on them to see it.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
He only needs the thread link for here too. It's only the cafe that non-members can't nosy in.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »
My brother is sure this lampbase is Strathearn - but a rather unusual beastie. He does rather know what he's talking about with these - and has at least one red one, if not a blue like this.
The reason for the lack of leaping salmon on the base could be the complications of adding it along with the business of drilling the hole for the flex - just making the whole process too prone to damage while finishing it.
I trust his identification and his opinion.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand