No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.  (Read 4084 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: id request for possible Scottish lamp base.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »
Sorry to do this again Sue :huh:

The reason that there is no leaping salmon is because the piece was blown into a mould for forming. Therefore there is no pontil mark, and no need to cover it with the leaping salmon impressed mark. The rim is the pontil as it were - and that is cut and finished, albeit unpolished.

The good news is that would happily concur with your brother's attribution :) :)

Nigel

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
I just got a hurried, mid-sandwich email from him about the base, and only repeated what he said - he's hassled and horribly busy right now, his brain may have been awol, Nigel!
But we do remember answering a query a while ago about one of these in red. (well, I do, now I've been prompted ::) )

but it was the same shape and "finish" and it is definitely STRATHEARN.

(no matter about wonky wibble and base finishes and lack of any fish!)
whew!

And thanks, Nigel  :kissy: for correcting wonky wibble.

just located the link to the discussion on the red one.
(my brother is the Dr. Marshall)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27149.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
My sincere thanks to everyone who has helped me with information for this lamp base :) , and very reassuring to have multiple confirmations for Strathearn ID.   These pieces are more attractive in the flesh than the pics. reveal - especially with the copper aventurine inclusions, and I guess if used as a lamp would look quite striking with the light catching the colours.    Quite a coincidence that I should acquire a piece of Monart and Strathearn on the same day - all I now need is a piece marked Vasart  ;).   Just as a final question, what sort of date range might this be please.?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
1964 - 1971

EDIT: PS. Cor, I nearly missed an opportunity!! I've got a number of marked pieces of Vasart that you could cross my hand with siver for  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
having just bought threequarters of a green Monart ginger jar at auction, the only silver I have left is in my teeth ;D  but appreciate the offer Nigel, and thanks for the date line for the Strathearn.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »

:-[ :-[ :-[ I need to exonorate my brother - he did not say anything about the lack of fish.
I got myself in a total tangle trying to track down links after I got his cryptic mid-sandwich email (with a link that didn't work in it) and I must have attributed a remark I read by somebody else, somewhere else, to him. Sorry. :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
...Anybody know of any connection between Selkirk and the Monart/Vasart/Strathearn/Stuart Strathearn and Perthshire stream?

Peter Holmes trained with and assisted Paul Ysart at Caithness 1963-70
http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YGpeople.htm

He is probably one of the most prolific Ysart style makers and his glass tends to be very thick.

Green - could be a Ginger Jar but rim seems a little short. I'd say a shape A and it might have been originally sold as a lamp base with non-glass shade. There are some shape variations showing HERE

For confusion see http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page01_N.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
thanks Frank - interesting reading the Peter Holmes and Paul Ysart link.       I have now measured the thickness of my lamp base - measured at the area of the drilled hole  -and have a reading of 11/12mm - which is quite substantial.        Regarding your thoughts on my green piece being a possible shape 'A'  -  would be good to think I wasn't in fact missing a lid :)  -  however, this  'should it have a lid or not'  question looks very difficult to assess, so I won't even try to go there.        Would however, just comment that looking at shapes 'Z' and 'JE' - with lids for example  -  it is noticeable that the 'shoulders' of these pieces are more flared out, so that when a lid sits in place the 'look' is more balanced.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand