No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: AMANDA NOTARIANNI GLASS  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Rosie1

• Members
AMANDA NOTARIANNI GLASS
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
Hi,
I consider this a lucky find and thought I would contribute it to this site.

It is made by Amanda Notarianni who is based in Cheshire, England and, from what I gather she is very well renowned in her field for contempory works of art glass and has had numerous exhibitions. If I understand rightly she only makes commissioned pieces.

It is 4" high and 1" deep and in blue and mauve. It has an almost 3-dementional look when viewed from the front and is highly polished. It is also fully signed on the base by Amanda. It does have a couple of small, fine scratches on reverse side, - from where someone was silly enough to place it on it's side as a weight!

I am very happy with my purchase and will enjoy it. It is so nice to be able to contribute to this site rather than ask for help with identifications.
Regards
Rosie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: AMANDA NOTARIANNI GLASS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
Rosie 1  -  thank you for sharing your wonderful find. :hiclp:      If you don't mind me asking, are you from the U.K.?

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Hi Paul,
Yes I am from the UK.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is it?  A bowl? Plate?  I've looked at the pictures, but I don't understand what I see.   :-\

Anik

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
Hi Anik,

Some might call it a paperweight, I consider it to be just a stylish piece of art glass that serves no purpose other than to look lovely. Maybe I should have listed it on the paperweight forum.
Regards

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
Oh gosh, I'm silly...  I misunderstood/misread your post  :pb:  When you said

It does have a couple of small, fine scratches on reverse side, - from where someone was silly enough to place it on it's side as a weight!

i took it to mean that someone had placed it on the side which was signed (like in your picture) but that it wasn't supposed to be placed that way (which confused me, because that's how I would have placed it as well).

Sorry ::)  Now it's clear.

P.S. And I'm super-silly to ask if it's a plate/bowl since it's only 4 inches.  Forgive me.  I've had a long day  :P

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »
No problem Anik, I should have been a bit clearer as well  :)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Lovely piece Rosie, thanks for sharing. cheers steph.

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »
I thought I might share with everyone the email I have received regarding this piece and now it has been establised it is a paperweight, maybe it should be moved to the paperweight forum...... ;D

These paperweights were some pieces made about 10 years ago, and were part of a group of work that included scent bottles, some small bowls and vases.

We have a website – www.notarianniglass.co.uk – where you can download Amanda’s CV and read a little more about her and her approach to her work.

She has constantly been developing work and is currently working on some large scale commissions and public art installations.

Amanda’s pieces are all signed by her, and each piece is unique as it is hand blown and hand finished by her. She does however remake ideas, with subtle differences.

Although I don’t have the exact numbers, I would put a guess at there being no more than about 20 paperweights of this colour and design.

I hope this is helpful. If you are near our studio, or passing, you are welcome to visit.

Yours sincerely

Charlie Macpherson

Rosie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand